NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Congrats guys on choosing one of the best rates in the Navy. I'm IT3 Harmon, and if you have any questions about the rate and/or what we do, just let me know.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
Congrats guys on choosing one of the best rates in the Navy. I'm IT3 Harmon, and if you have any questions about the rate and/or what we do, just let me know.
I was wondering what are the hours of an IT. Can it be boring sometimes? Is it more ship or shore duty?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay View Post
I was wondering what are the hours of an IT. Can it be boring sometimes? Is it more ship or shore duty?
You're hours will be similar to everyone else; working hours are typically 0700-1600. That changes sometimes based on your watch schedule, or on shore duty you could be on the night shift, but that's the standard "working day" for everyone in 90% of commands.

For IT's it's a bit of a coin toss on ship vs shore duty first. Every ship has a division of IT's, so there's PLENTY of possibility you get a ship first. But also some of the larger NCTAMS (pronounced Nick-Tams) facilities also get plenty of IT's straight out of A-school. The deciding factor will really be the "Needs of the Navy" at the time you're getting orders. If they need bodies on the ships, you go to a ship. If they need guys shore side, you go to shore. There really isn't anything you can do to predict it, it's just going to be what the needs are at the time you're getting assigned orders.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Tay

Tay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
You're hours will be similar to everyone else; working hours are typically 0700-1600. That changes sometimes based on your watch schedule, or on shore duty you could be on the night shift, but that's the standard "working day" for everyone in 90% of commands.

For IT's it's a bit of a coin toss on ship vs shore duty first. Every ship has a division of IT's, so there's PLENTY of possibility you get a ship first. But also some of the larger NCTAMS (pronounced Nick-Tams) facilities also get plenty of IT's straight out of A-school. The deciding factor will really be the "Needs of the Navy" at the time you're getting orders. If they need bodies on the ships, you go to a ship. If they need guys shore side, you go to shore. There really isn't anything you can do to predict it, it's just going to be what the needs are at the time you're getting assigned orders.

/r
CTT1
Can being a IT be boring at times?
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
enerG

enerG is on a distinguished road

Harmon, are there certs that you gain in A school? Also would any prior schooling in the IT field be useful in A school?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
ShotOfWSC
**Active Duty**

ShotOfWSC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by enerG View Post
Harmon, are there certs that you gain in A school? Also would any prior schooling in the IT field be useful in A school?
Yes. In A school, you'll receive your A+ cert. If you get SysAd as your C school, you will get your Security+ cert. Although when you get to your first command, they'll most likely require you to get Secuity+ anyway if you don't have it. It's now required to be able to touch the networks as an admin. Take the certs seriously, because if you don't pass the certs in school after 2 attempts, you get re rated. Yes, prior IT schooling would be helpful in school as far a networking goes, but not on the comms side of things. It helps as far as knowledge goes (depending on your level of knowledge), but not for any other reason.
ShotOfWSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
enerG

enerG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes. In A school, you'll receive your A+ cert. If you get SysAd as your C school, you will get your Security+ cert. Although when you get to your first command, they'll most likely require you to get Secuity+ anyway if you don't have it. It's now required to be able to touch the networks as an admin. Take the certs seriously, because if you don't pass the certs in school after 2 attempts, you get re rated. Yes, prior IT schooling would be helpful in school as far a networking goes, but not on the comms side of things. It helps as far as knowledge goes (depending on your level of knowledge), but not for any other reason.
I'll be a 4 year IT-SG, I have my BS in information and computer technology with a concentration in information security. As far as C-school goes I don't think 4 years get that opportunity? Also do 4 year IT's get the advancement opportunity that 6 year IT's get?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Kysty32

Kysty32 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Future Sailor Ski here. My rating is IT and my ship date is 20150224. I have a lot of questions regarding the IT rating as it is what I got. My main question is: what is life like as a Navy IT? (I signed 6 yr)
Kysty32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
it's