NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Amy

Amy is on a distinguished road
Question Boot camp paying your rent

I read a recruit's letter in my recruiter's office.
It says if you are paying rent, bring the rental contract with you, and the bootcamp will pay your rent during you are away.

The information must be reliable as this letter is from the bootcamp.

My question is, I share a 2-bedroom with my cousin--with the landlord's permission, and my name isn't on the contract. I simply pay half rent to my cousin every month.

What shall I do in this case...?

Thank you.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
It says if you are paying rent, bring the rental contract with you, and the bootcamp will pay your rent during you are away.

My question is, I share a 2-bedroom with my cousin--with the landlord's permission, and my name isn't on the contract. I simply pay half rent to my cousin every month.

Thank you.

If you're not on the actual lease the Navy isn't going to pay any money for the rent.

Even if you were, why would you continue to pay rent there if you're leaving anyway?

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:

Thank you.
If your not married or have dependents your not getting BAH.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Even if you were, why would you continue to pay rent there if you're leaving anyway?

/r
CTT1
Because I'm coming straight back after A school, I'm in the reserve.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
If your not married or have dependents your not getting BAH.
Not acoording to the recruit who wrote back. He isn't married, and he doesn't have a kid.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
HM DEEZLE

Location: NC babbbbbyyyyy ... where we're good for nothing except SWEET TEA, BBQ, and BASKETBALL
HM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to beholdHM DEEZLE is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for piggy backing off of this thread but what about cell phone bills? I've been wondering about this for a while.

Depped: 20140729

Ship: 20150317
HM DEEZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
kforbs126

Quote:
Not acoording to the recruit who wrote back. He isn't married, and he doesn't have a kid.
He's lying.

Reservists aren't entitled to BAH unless married, dependents or E5's. I just confirmed that with a friend who is a Navy reservists.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM DEEZLE View Post
Sorry for piggy backing off of this thread but what about cell phone bills? I've been wondering about this for a while.
I'm sorry about you phone bills, but the letter from this recuit only mentioned the rent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	3012
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	758  
Old 12-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Amy

There is no need to be sarcastic, not like I'm trying to squeeze some from the Navy.
At least I'm prepared to bear the lost of not being able to work for 5-6 months and paying rent from my savings the moment I signed the contract.

I'm only curious of what been said in this letter, and to see if I'm eligible.
If it does work that way, it must be a legitimate and rightful benefit of a sailor. And other future sailors who are qualified would benefit from reading this thread too.

I'll be away for 5-6 months, and will be with no income except the little pay checks from the Navy during bootcamp and A school. And the landlord won't let my cousin to sublet my room to other people, and my cousin cannot afford it without me. So I'll be paying the rent out of my savings.

Most of the future sailors here are active duty and will live on base or ship out, so you don't have any rent problems to worry about.
But I have a full time job, and a small business. My LLC is registered to my current address, I cannot just simply cancel everything and move my personal stuff to some public storage for those 5-6 months.

Thanks.

Last edited by Amy; 12-19-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm sorry about you phone bills, but the letter from this recuit only mentioned the rent.
Instead of taking your information from someone who hasn't even finished boot camp yet, listen to some of us that have almost a decade in the Navy.

Unless you are married, an E-5 on AD orders where you aren't provided berthing, or on that lease, the Navy is not going to give you BAH.
You either need to get on the lease or work something out where some of your paycheck in boot camp goes to somewhere your cousin can get it. And if you get put on the lease, you need to discuss that with your recruiting office on how that would work. On the Active side, a Sailor isn't entitled to BAH until E-5, but I'm not sure how that gets worked as a reservist on long term orders.

As for the cell phone bill question, no. The Navy isn't going to pay your cell phone bill.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
kforbs126

Quote:
Instead of taking your information from someone who hasn't even finished boot camp yet, listen to some of us that have almost a decade in the Navy.

Unless you are married, an E-5 on AD orders where you aren't provided berthing, or on that lease, the Navy is not going to give you BAH.
You either need to get on the lease or work something out where some of your paycheck in boot camp goes to somewhere your cousin can get it. And if you get put on the lease, you need to discuss that with your recruiting office on how that would work. On the Active side, a Sailor isn't entitled to BAH until E-5, but I'm not sure how that gets worked as a reservist on long term orders.

As for the cell phone bill question, no. The Navy isn't going to pay your cell phone bill.

/r
CTT1
Reservist work the same they don't qualify for BAH unless they meet the same requirements as AD.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
kforbs126

Quote:
There is no need to be sarcastic, not like I'm trying to squeeze some from the Navy.

I know everybody here is "serving our country", but ain't your service paid? Would you do it for free? At least I'm prepared to bear the lost of not being able to work for 5-6 months and paying rent from my savings the moment I signed the contract in July,2014.

I'm only curious of what been said in this letter, and to see if I'm qualified.
If it does work that way, it must be a legitimate and rightful benefit of a sailor. And other future sailors who are qualified would benefit from reading this thread.

I'll be away for 5-6 months, and will be with no income except the little pay checks from the Navy during bootcamp and A school. And the landlord won't let my cousin to sublet my room to other people, and my cousin cannot afford it without me. So I'll be paying the rent out of my savings.

Most of the future sailors here are active duty and will live on base or ship out, so you don't have any rent problems to worry about.
But I have a full time job, and a small business. My LLC is registered to my current address, I cannot just simply cancel everything and move my personal stuff to some public storage for that 5-6 months.

Thanks.
Sounds like you didn't look at all the consequences of signing up for the Reserves. No one here is being sarcastic but you aren't entitled to benefits just because you are a reservist. The Navy Reserve isn't like the other reserves as what benefits they offer.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Amy

Quote:
He's lying.

Reservists aren't entitled to BAH unless married, dependents or E5's. I just confirmed that with a friend who is a Navy reservists.
Thank you for the information.

Now I get it.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #14
Amy

Quote:
Sounds like you didn't look at all the consequences of signing up for the Reserves. No one here is being sarcastic but you aren't entitled to benefits just because you are a reservist. The Navy Reserve isn't like the other reserves as what benefits they offer.
Thank you for explain this to me.
I really don't know anything about it... So my question might seem very stupid...
LOL

Now I understand.

Thank you.

It was my dream to be in the Navy, but I can't afford to dump my career. When I found out I can keep my job AND being in the Navy... it's a "dream come true" moment!!

^_^
Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #15
kforbs126

Quote:
Thank you for explain this to me.
I really don't know anything about it... So my question might seem very stupid...
LOL

Now I understand.

Thank you.
I can tell you this that the Navy Reserves isn't like the National Guard, Army Reserves or Air NG. Less benefits and really the reservist GI Bill is horrible. The Navy Reserves aren't really used a lot and don't get activated very often. Don't get me wrong they do still use Reservists to deploy but compared to the NG, AR or Air NG who get used or used to get used all the time. They get better benefits. I worked with 3 Reservists who have 30 day AD orders that they continue to get renewed through their commands but money is running out real soon. 2 of them are begging to go AD but the Navy won't even take them. I get out soon and they typically try to get you to sign up for the Reserves yet there are very few spots available. My rate one of the biggest in the Navy, ET, only took 15 last year to go from active to reserve. I said screw it and I'm pretty confident I will get a commission in the Ohio NG after I get out. Good luck hopefully you can work something out with rent.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #16
Amy

Quote:

/r
CTT1
@_@ why is everything has to be so complicated (kidding):P and a recruit's letter could be so misleading (where did he get that from? LOL)
Thank you for the answer.

I guess I'll just save it and go write that check to my cousin as the original plan
Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

I'm wondering if this person meant that the Navy will help you set up an allotment from your pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM DEEZLE View Post
Your best bet is to put your phone on hold (you can do this with your car insurance too) and not owe anything while you're gone. To do this, you (generally) just need to show them a copy of your orders.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
@_@ why is everything has to be so complicated (kidding):P and a recruit's letter could be so misleading (where did he get that from? LOL)
Because he's a recruit haha No offense, but he's not at Sailor yet and doesn't have enough experience within the Navy to understand how things flow.

It's not his fault, just a matter of time and experience. I'm sure he means well though.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

You do know that you are getting paid the same amount as active duty while you are in training right? It may not be what you are used to making but it is much more than regular reserve pay.
FutureND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #20
Amy

Quote:
I can tell you this that the Navy Reserves isn't like the National Guard, Army Reserves or Air NG. Less benefits and really the reservist GI Bill is horrible. The Navy Reserves aren't really used a lot and don't get activated very often. Don't get me wrong they do still use Reservists to deploy but compared to the NG, AR or Air NG who get used or used to get used all the time. They get better benefits. I worked with 3 Reservists who have 30 day AD orders that they continue to get renewed through their commands but money is running out real soon. 2 of them are begging to go AD but the Navy won't even take them. I get out soon and they typically try to get you to sign up for the Reserves yet there are very few spots available. My rate one of the biggest in the Navy, ET, only took 15 last year to go from active to reserve. I said screw it and I'm pretty confident I will get a commission in the Ohio NG after I get out. Good luck hopefully you can work something out with rent.
Wow.I didn't know it's hard to go AD from reserve... and I heard tha the GI Bill for reserve is like only 12,000 fixed--donn't know if it's true... but better than nothing.

Well as the recuit's letter turned out to be a misunderstanding, I'll just pay my cousin in advance as planned--so that I won't end up knocking on some stranger's door when I come back LOL

Thank you for your answer
Old 12-19-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I'm wondering if this person meant that the Navy will help you set up an allotment from your pay.

Maybe he's trying to be funny?...:P:P
Old 12-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #22
Amy

Quote:
Because he's a recruit haha No offense, but he's not at Sailor yet and doesn't have enough experience within the Navy to understand how things flow.

It's not his fault, just a matter of time and experience. I'm sure he means well though.

/r
CTT1
Haha right.

I looked back of my old posts, the questions I asked before MEPS were stupid to me now.
And now "BING"! I just created another stupid question hahaha...

I've been coming to the forum since I started to prepare for the ASVAB. It helped me big time!

I'll come back when I become a real sailor and help others too ^_^

I really appreciate everyone's help here, thank you!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureND View Post
You do know that you are getting paid the same amount as active duty while you are in training right? It may not be what you are used to making but it is much more than regular reserve pay.
Great. That does help ^_^
Old 12-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
NavyPanther

NavyPanther has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy

Quote:
Wow this saddens me

ET3 Pizarro

DEP: 20150127 AECF
Ship: 20150304
Boot camp Graduation: 01MAY2015
ET A School Graduation: 17DEC2015 Distinguished Military Graduate
NavyPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #25
kforbs126

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyPanther View Post
Wow this saddens me
The Navy Reserves aren't really what people assume they are. A lot depends on the command you get assigned. From what I'm told from the Reservists I've met and know, we had Reservists in and out of my division doing their 2 weeks, the weekends the drill they do paperwork and NKO/Power Points. Especially if you aren't by a Navy base there isn't much going on at the NOC's. Now from what I've seen and heard deployment is 99% voluntary unless you are someone who they need usually NEC dependent.