NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
bwall0430

bwall0430 is on a distinguished road
Default AWS/AWR billet question

I origionally had a plan to go the AIRR route to be apart of a helo squadron but after barely passing the depth perception test at MEPS I was only able to get an AIRC contract. What is the likelihood of getting an AWS/AWR (dry) billet? If you do outstanding at NACCS will your odds increase?
bwall0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall0430 View Post
I origionally had a plan to go the AIRR route to be apart of a helo squadron but after barely passing the depth perception test at MEPS I was only able to get an AIRC contract. What is the likelihood of getting an AWS/AWR (dry) billet? If you do outstanding at NACCS will your odds increase?
If you got medically DQ'd from Helo's then you're probably restricted to fixed wing. You'll find out for sure though when you go do your flight physical. There's a section on there that says if you're qualed for fixed wing, rotary wing, or both.

Do you actually know what AWS dry does? (there is no AWR dry by the way).

I wouldn't knock the fixed wing community either. Very few flyers I meet, both guys I fly with and those in VP, don't like their jobs. Also we do a lot more travel than our rotary wing buddies.

/r
CTT1
Old 01-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
bwall0430

bwall0430 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
If you got medically DQ'd from Helo's then you're probably restricted to fixed wing. You'll find out for sure though when you go do your flight physical. There's a section on there that says if you're qualed for fixed wing, rotary wing, or both.

Do you actually know what AWS dry does? (there is no AWR dry by the way).

I wouldn't knock the fixed wing community either. Very few flyers I meet, both guys I fly with and those in VP, don't like their jobs. Also we do a lot more travel than our rotary wing buddies.

/r
CTT1

Thanks for the quick reply it's hard to find answers anywhere online to specific questions, and my bias towards AWS was honestly just the fact that you're attached to a helicopter. From doing more research though fixed wing looks like a better quality of life. What are the reasons and ways you travel more than rotary?
bwall0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall0430 View Post
What are the reasons and ways you travel more than rotary?
Pretty much just physics lol It's a whole lot easier to fly a fixed wing platform long distances to different places than it is to haul a helo there. Say we're in Okinawa, Japan and we need to relocate to mainland Japan, the Philippines, whatever, we can just hop in the bird and do it. Helo's though, not so much lol

/r
CTT1

Tags
aircrew, aws, navy, pensacola