NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Darrin

Darrin is on a distinguished road
Default 900 division

Hey, I was wondering, will i be put in the 900 Division because I have four years of MCJROTC and four years on our exhibition drill team, or do they pick them totally at random?
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Darrin

Darrin is on a distinguished road

this is a video of our honor guard on our awards night. I am the third person on the left, the reason why it sucked at the beginning is because they didnt start the music at the right time.

http://youtu.be/rBwQmqwNT14
Darrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
JaxSailor22

JaxSailor22 is on a distinguished road

I have met a few guys that were put into 900 divisions without a say on a random basis. If you speak up about having any kind of interest or background in music, drill, etc. then you'll probably wind up being put in one...
JaxSailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Nuke Guy

Nuke Guy is on a distinguished road

Just about everyone qualifies to be in a 900 division in one way or another, but DO NOT VOLUNTEER TO BE IN ONE! 900 divisions do all the work a normal division does, but their Saturdays are spent with long hours of practice rather than doing menial busy work. Make your life easier and try to get into a regular division.
Nuke Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

I was a 900 and if you are in an 900, its an extra little bond. When you leave boot camp and people start asking what division you were and you say 900, if they were 900 its like oh I did that too! But it really is a lot of hard work above and beyond regular boot camp. They don't ask much about JROTC or anything, they ask more for instruments or color guard (spinning rifles) than anything. If its for marching, they look hard at military bearing on arrival night and they look to make sure you're qualified (smart enough to learn stuff without extra study time since you get less of it since you're in the drill hall more; can you swim, can you pass your PFA, etc). I don't recommend 900 to anyone, just go with the flow when you're there and see where you fall. I wasn't trying to end up in a 900, I just got selected there cause I met the requirements and had military bearing. 900's is one of those things you don't think about in the moment, but afterwards its a little bit special and you're proud of it. The only reason to desire a 900 is if you want to go to ceremonial guard or USS Constitution after, as they usually start with 900's before they go to "rifle-land" (the regular divisions)
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
maha556677

maha556677 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about 900 divisions also. I have 8 years of trumpet experience(concert and marching band) under my belt and really want to be in a 900 division. Will they ask everybody during p-days if they have experience? I mean I don't think I would just tell and RDC out of the blue if I have experience, I would probably have to be asked to mention it.
maha556677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

On arrival night, RDC's who are processing you in will be asking you all if anyone has experience singing, playing an instrument, doing color guard, etc. If you do and you want to be in a 900, that is when you would mention it. If you do and don't want to, keep your lips shut. Those questions are for triple threat 900 divisions. State Flags and Staff divisions are selected differently and you aren't given a choice if they decide they want you in a 900 staff or state flags division.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote