NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp > Back From Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Bingle

Bingle is on a distinguished road
Default Any AVs with questions, I can try to answer them.

Just wanting to offer my help to all avs leaving for boot camp/ coming to a school. I'm about to graduate A school and just want to offer some help. Just ask, I promise I don't bite....
Bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
colabottles

colabottles is on a distinguished road

How difficult do you think it'd be to DEP in as an AV? I've heard mixed things about availability. I graduate this year and wanted to leave any time after July.

How is A School and how was boot camp? How fit were you when you left compared to when you left? Any things to avoid doing in A School/Boot Camp?

Also, what happens after A School?

That's about all I can think of. Thank you for offering advice!
colabottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by colabottles View Post
How difficult do you think it'd be to DEP in as an AV? I've heard mixed things about availability. I graduate this year and wanted to leave any time after July.

How is A School and how was boot camp? How fit were you when you left compared to when you left? Any things to avoid doing in A School/Boot Camp?

Also, what happens after A School?

That's about all I can think of. Thank you for offering advice!
1. Well it all depends on your ASVAB score, the AV community has the second hardest A school (AT and ET are second hardest, right after Nuke). I got an 83 personally, the lowest I know of in my class is a 7x got about half of the class with a 90+ two with 98's.

2. Boot camp is easy, as long as you keep your mouth shut and pay attention to detail. If you can pay attention to detail and learn not to open your mouth you will do fine. A school is so much more relaxed than boot camp, as long as you pay attention in school you will do fine, the only school I see being a struggle would but AT I level. They have the hardest school out of the three possible for AV. I am O level so I'm not too sure, from what I heard it's pre-calc/calc.

Things to avoid in A school, eh. If you are underage don't drink, I know plenty of guys that do and last weekend alone we had two Navy get caught and a couple marines. Just don't do it, it's not worth the risk, you will regret it.

3. Close to the end of A school you get your orders (I'm close to getting mine actually YAY), when you get your orders you will find out if you have a C school (most likely you will). The C school will be based on the platform (type of Air Craft), you will be working on. The C schools are all over the US, p3/p8 is in Jacksonville, f/a 18 is in Cali (forget where), and so on. Once you complete your C school you will go to the fleet (You can go to fleet before hand, if there is a long time before you start classes at your C school, not very likely though).

As for how fit I was, I went into boot camp at 115 lbs, I'm 5'9" (69"). I was underweight by every standard in the book, shouldn't have been allowed to go actually xD. I was out of shape as well, couldn't pass the physical tests, by the end I was able to with no problem. I'm currently running at 10:15 mile and half without much effort (well was until I got really bad shin splints). I can do 80ish pushups without too much effort and same for sit ups. Once you get to A school, and into your strand class (there are three classes in A school, ATT, AWATT, and your stand. AWATT and strand are put together though), if you go O strand you will be beat. We have the hardest PT on this base,right up there with Air Crew. I have seen Marines fall out of our PT.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
AnnaGB

AnnaGB is on a distinguished road

Wow! Cool I haven't heard from any other AV's yet. I hope I will get AT, but obviously I won't know that for a while. I ship March 5th. I'm 68.5" and weigh 124 so I'm not so far off from where you were haha. I still got 3 months though so I'm going to work my ass off between now and then to get in better shape.

So most AT's get sent to a C-school afterward?
AnnaGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
colabottles

colabottles is on a distinguished road

Haha you are the opposite of me. I am currently under my max weight by 4 lbs, so hardly at all! I have made progress though, and have lost almost 25 lbs since the summer to be able to DEP in. I recently hit the 3 mile mark while running. I am hoping to DEP in this month.

I haven't been to MEPS yet, but I did the test in the recruiter's office and got an 83 on it (weird!) and my recruiter assured me I would be fine on the real one since most people tend to score higher.

Is it true that there is a high chance of being able to switch jobs if AV is not available at MEPS the day I go? My recruiter assured me but I can't help but take everything said with a grain of salt.

Once again, thank you for putting this thread up!
colabottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Bingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGB View Post
Wow! Cool I haven't heard from any other AV's yet. I hope I will get AT, but obviously I won't know that for a while. I ship March 5th. I'm 68.5" and weigh 124 so I'm not so far off from where you were haha. I still got 3 months though so I'm going to work my ass off between now and then to get in better shape.

So most AT's get sent to a C-school afterward?
Everyone I've known that had graduated has been sent to C school. I honestly can't think of any platform that wouldn't need a C school. A school is just basic overall knowledge of aircraft and their operations. Then course it base on the f-99 (it's really a f-18 but hey just changed it for training purposes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by colabottles View Post
Haha you are the opposite of me. I am currently under my max weight by 4 lbs, so hardly at all! I have made progress though, and have lost almost 25 lbs since the summer to be able to DEP in. I recently hit the 3 mile mark while running. I am hoping to DEP in this month.

I haven't been to MEPS yet, but I did the test in the recruiter's office and got an 83 on it (weird!) and my recruiter assured me I would be fine on the real one since most people tend to score higher.

Is it true that there is a high chance of being able to switch jobs if AV is not available at MEPS the day I go? My recruiter assured me but I can't help but take everything said with a grain of salt.

Once again, thank you for putting this thread up!
There are going to be many jobs offered to you if you get an 80+ on the real test, and you should. They classifier is prob going to try to get you to go nuke, because they need people in that field. I was going to go nuke at first, took the nuke test and passed it and everything. You are not locked into a job until you leave for boot camp, although once you sign on the dotted line (er put your finger print on the scanner is actually what happens now) it's hard to change your rate. Not sure if I answered your question if not let me know.