NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of
Default Any thoughts on the e-tablet distribution?

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=86458

Apparently MCPON hand-distributed the first e-tablets to recruits during RTC. I'd like to hear what you think be it positive or negative. Personally, I'm a pen-and-paper kinda guy even in college, but I guess I'll have to get used to electronics in boot camp then. I heard lots of negative feedback from this too with stuff like a waste of money and pointless to take phones away, not being able to focus or concéntrate, sailors being spoiled, etc...

What do you think?
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
heinz57

heinz57 is on a distinguished road

I personally do not see an issue with this, mostly.

It is inevitable that technology will increase in classroom settings everywhere, especially with the military.

The only part I really don't agree with is this:
Quote:
The tablets will also be used to increase the quality of life of recruits as this technology will facilitate communication with family and friends during time normally allotted to them for letter writing.
So basically what they are saying is everyone is going to have access to email that they can use to talk to people from home. I feel like that is one major part of boot camp. Take a new recruit (most of them fresh out of mom's house) and separate them from everything they are used to.

Whatever, I guess the results of the program will tell in time.
heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
The only part I really don't agree with is this:

So basically what they are saying is everyone is going to have access to email that they can use to talk to people from home. I feel like that is one major part of boot camp. Take a new recruit (most of them fresh out of mom's house) and separate them from everything they are used to.
100% agree here. Boot camp is supposed to remove you from civilian life and mold you into a Sailor. Staying tethered to things back home hinders that in my opinion. There was nothing wrong with writing letters and getting them back a week later and mail call was super satisfying when you got something.

I have this nagging feeling we're going to turn into the Air Force at some point. After being around Lackland AFB for a while, I can tell you first hand what an absolute joke their boot camp is. These kids can make phone calls, walk around base, go get fast food, ect, ect. It's basically a glorified baby sitting camp. THAT'S what I DON'T want for my Navy.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
heinz57

heinz57 is on a distinguished road

Wow, scary. Fast food? I picked the wrong branch! Joking!

But you could not of said it any better.
heinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Zandra

Zandra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
100% agree here. Boot camp is supposed to remove you from civilian life and mold you into a Sailor. Staying tethered to things back home hinders that in my opinion. There was nothing wrong with writing letters and getting them back a week later and mail call was super satisfying when you got something.

I have this nagging feeling we're going to turn into the Air Force at some point. After being around Lackland AFB for a while, I can tell you first hand what an absolute joke their boot camp is. These kids can make phone calls, walk around base, go get fast food, ect, ect. It's basically a glorified baby sitting camp. THAT'S what I DON'T want for my Navy.

/r
CTT1

I haven't been to boot camp yet and I feel like giving tablets to future sailors is taking away from the whole boot camp experience. Even being as young as I am and like never being away from my phone. I wouldn't want to use tablets during boot camp.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Tramuta

Tramuta is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know when it's starting. I leave for basic May 19th and would love to prepare myself for the use of a tablet or not.
Tramuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramuta View Post
Does anyone know when it's starting. I leave for basic May 19th and would love to prepare myself for the use of a tablet or not.
How would you need to "prepare"? lol

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramuta View Post
From the article that I posted, it seems as if it started already. Probably a pilot program process. Have fun with it.
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #9
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I have no issue with recruits using tablets for training and whatnot. There were always at least 5 broken computers any time we went to the classroom, the ones that worked were still ancient, and it was a real nuisance on all sides.

But if you issue them to the recruits and tell them to carry them around, some of them are going to get broken, someone's going to prank another recruit by making a tablet disappear, someone's going to figure out how to get on the real internet and get in trouble that way, and someone's going to figure out how to cheat if they're used to administer the academic tests. And they'll probably figure all that out in these pilot runs, but they'll issue them anyway since Navy already bought them, and then they'll just be secured all the time. Waste of time and money.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote