NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-19-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo, CTT1...are y'all looking for cross raters? In a year and a half, say? >_>

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
Soooo, CTT1...are y'all looking for cross raters? In a year and a half, say? >_>
Right now the rates extremely full; last I checked we weren't taking convert-ins. Although it's the Navy, and who knows what it'll be next month or even tomorrow. Your best bet would be checking into it when you're ready to make a move. Since we are at the peak now it would make sense that in a year or so there could be some room as we shave off some numbers over the next FY or 2.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Of the different brances of CTs, which branch has more people? Which one has the least?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
Of the different brances of CTs, which branch has more people? Which one has the least?
Not sure which branch has the most, but M-branchers have by far the least.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

during bootcamp, since I will be needing a security clearance, will I still be able to send letters to my mom in Germany? She just got stationed there a few months ago.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by classified9 View Post
Good afternoon CTT1,

I just had a few general questions since you've had plenty of experience working alongside other CT ratings:

What could a typical first enlistment look like for a CTI? What are the potential duty stations right out of the DLI?

Also, I have researched that most special assignments for CT's such as aircrew, sub duty, and special operations are more 2nd tour type duties (not right out of the DLI), is this correct? I've just heard that during your first enlistment you're more than likely going to be at a NIOC with a desk job...or a mop...

Thank you in advance petty officer
Your first enlistment duty station is 90% likely to be at a NIOC. What specific NIOC you'll be going to would depend on your language (obviously Chinese linguists don't go to Texas; you get the idea).

If you want to do some extra special spooky stuffy, Aircrew or sub support would be the most likely. This is something you could talk to your detailer and school house about while you're at DLI. It would be a follow on C-school, as both of those are volunteer only programs. Something like TIO though would be around your 2nd enlistment, as they want some experience in you first for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSparks View Post
during bootcamp, since I will be needing a security clearance, will I still be able to send letters to my mom in Germany? She just got stationed there a few months ago.
Your mother being stationed in Germany will have no effect on your security clearance stuff. Write away!

/r
CTT1
Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the input Petty Officer,

If you saw another post from me a few minutes ago I went back and deleted it. I didn't know if my post went through or not last week when I checked this weekend, I have a tendency to start writing a post then get busy and forget to send it. Didn't think to check page 2

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #8
USNAVYCASTRO

USNAVYCASTRO is on a distinguished road

Hows its going CTT1,

How would you say the work/life balance is as a CTI or CTT? How often would you say i am able to see my wife and son?
Thanks for the response in advance.
USNAVYCASTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
futureSPOOK32

futureSPOOK32 is on a distinguished road

Do you know any information about CTR C-schools? I haven't really been able to find anything on that topic so any info is appreciated!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #10
Cobblestone

Cobblestone is on a distinguished road
Default Some CTI questions

What areas do CTI's usually get stationed at? Is it usually sea duty or shore duty mostly? How do deployments work for them? Do CTI's learn their language fluently for the most part? I'm currently in DEP for AECF, but have thought about taking the DLAB to try for CTI, so I appreciate any help!
Cobblestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

CTIs generally get stationed at NIOCs - Georgia, Maryland, Texas, or Hawaii depending on the language. We aren't stationed on ships, but can travel on them as direct support and can also become aircrew.

I can watch a Chinese tv show or read the news and understand 85% of what they say, but there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Cobblestone

Thanks!! If there are holds during the initial school for CTI, is it possible to take college classes to work towards a bachelors? (I already have an associates) For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Old 09-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Realistically speaking your hold time will be 2 months at most, and juggling time for other classes with DLI would be very difficult to say the least. There's a chance, but it's a very small one.

CTT1 is better acquainted with the SSBI process than I am, but as far as I understand, they're not going to trust any one person implicitly.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks for the info!!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #15
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestone View Post
For the SSBI, what do they do? My understanding is that they talk to a bunch of people you have known and not all of them are people you put down on the background investigation. I wasn't a bad kid, never in legal trouble (couldn't have worked in the dept. of corrections if I had been!), but I have known people in high school with questionable moral backgrounds. If someone decides to try to diss my name, they wouldn't automatically disqualify me, right? It seems like they would talk to me about the results they came up with
Cobblestone:

The people assigned to your case are seasoned investigators, they can tell who's worth trusting and who isn't. The reason they branch out on your contacts like that is to see if they can find anything you or your close circle of friends might not tell them. But they have a good sense for what's reliable and what isn't. They will also go over any issues or discrepancies with you to get some clarification.

So long story short, just be honest about everything and it will work itself out. They're looking at you, not some other person! If everything you tell them checks out then you'll be fine. Don't sweat it.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

I can't stress enough how much people freak out about the investigation cycle in DEP or in boot.

As long as you're honest and don't have anything to hide then you're gonna be fine. You'll see plenty of people freaking out or telling some kind of polygraph horror story, but 90% of those are either WAY exaggerated or just flat out fabrications.

/r
CTT1
Old 09-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Cobblestone

Ok, thanks! I think I should be 100% fine then!
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
blacktemplar

blacktemplar is on a distinguished road

Edit: answered question, I should actually finish reading a thread before asking a question, an novel idea.
blacktemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #19
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
Edit: answered question, I should actually finish reading a thread before asking a question, an novel idea.
Haha no worries. I've done that here as well.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #20
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping up. Seen a few CT related questions pop up recently.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Do you have any info you could share about 451 for CTRs?
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
Do you have any info you could share about 451 for CTRs?
Could you elaborate a little more on this for me? I'm pretty sure you're asking about NEC 9147, but just wanted to make sure.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Yeah I'm new at this and im trying to know what I canand can not say publicly. ( I rather be told what I can say, then what I can't say after it's been said) But my class right now is 450, and they say if you do good enough you get a chance to be picked up for 451. I'm not sure if it's the same as the NEC or not.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #24
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Yeah I'm new at this and im trying to know what I canand can not say publicly. ( I rather be told what I can say, then what I can't say after it's been said) But my class right now is 450, and they say if you do good enough you get a chance to be picked up for 451. I'm not sure if it's the same as the NEC or not.
That's probably the code for the class itself. If you can find out the actual NEC then I could fill you in on what I know.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #25
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
That's probably the code for the class itself. If you can find out the actual NEC then I could fill you in on what I know.

/r
CTT1
Yes, the class does give you the NEC code 9147. Who usually gets orders to go to this class and would you suggest trying to get it before going to the fleet if I can, or should I try to get some experience first?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
Jgraham0517

Jgraham0517 is on a distinguished road

I am depping and my rate will be ctr. I would love to get stationed overseas somewhere. honestly wouldn't matter where to me. Are there a lot of countries to be stationed and do you think they would be more inclined to send someone over that is a little more vocal about going?
Jgraham0517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #27
Jeff

Jeff is on a distinguished road

I am going in as a reservist, is this a job I could qualify for? My recruiter says everything is available to me. I've been to MEPS (just the physical part) interview will be when my financial waiver comes approved.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #28
blacktemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I am going in as a reservist, is this a job I could qualify for? My recruiter says everything is available to me. I've been to MEPS (just the physical part) interview will be when my financial waiver comes approved.
Yes, all the CT rates are open to reservists.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #29
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

Not exactly. Reservist CTIs exist, but you can only be a reservist CTI if you were an AD CTI first.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Sorry I'm late on this. A lot came up during this week for me Ops wise.

Yes, CTT is totally open to you as a reservist. We have quite a few and they're outstanding Sailors.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #31
blacktemplar

CTT1,
Since you're the head of a CTN shop, do your sailors have time, after their initial quals and warfare pin to use TA to get school done?
I wanted to get a BS in CompSci when I'm in.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #32
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar View Post
CTT1,
Since you're the head of a CTN shop, do your sailors have time, after their initial quals and warfare pin to use TA to get school done?
I wanted to get a BS in CompSci when I'm in.
Thanks
They absolutely do! I've actually got a sailor with 2 bachelors; one in Biology and one in Engineering.

Totally doable.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #33
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

Can you get a four year degree in four years, or does it take longer usually?
Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #34
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Can you get a four year degree in four years, or does it take longer usually?
Typically it takes a bit longer, but that's coming from a sea-duty guy. On shore duty it's totally doable if you're willing to put in the work. It won't however be like regular college. You'll be doing classes along with a full time job; so keep that in mind.

/r
CTT1
Old 06-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #35
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It won't however be like regular college. You'll be doing classes along with a full time job; so keep that in mind.

/r
CTT1
Sounds like regular college when I was getting my bachelor's... lol.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #36
Saturnal

Saturnal is on a distinguished road

How seriously does the Navy take foreign contacts in regards to a TS clearance? I had a prior relationship with a Chinese national and (foolishly I guess) tried to update my foreign contact information. They had me cut contact (something I was opposed to) and write a statement. The nature of the relationship was close friendship/language exchange. Will it disqualify me? I'm afraid of shipping only to find out I'm ineligible for TS and have to do some undesirable job.

Also, what is CTN A-school like? Should I bother getting IT certifications like A+ or Network+? Thank you.
Saturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #37
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnal View Post
How seriously does the Navy take foreign contacts in regards to a TS clearance? I had a prior relationship with a Chinese national and (foolishly I guess) tried to update my foreign contact information. They had me cut contact (something I was opposed to) and write a statement. The nature of the relationship was close friendship/language exchange. Will it disqualify me? I'm afraid of shipping only to find out I'm ineligible for TS and have to do some undesirable job.

Also, what is CTN A-school like? Should I bother getting IT certifications like A+ or Network+? Thank you.
Foreign Contacts are a BIG deal. It's not an outright disqualifier though, unless you try to hide it and it gets discovered (they will find it eventually, trust me). If you're planning on going into the Intel/Crypto world, continuing contact with someone in China is going to be an issue. Get everything well documented and let DONCAF make the call.

As far as CTN school, don't bother going to get those certs yourself. All those CompTIA certs are incredibly low level and not worth your time. If you want to learn the material, go for it, but if it were me I would recommend studying for the CCNA over any of the CompTIA certs.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #38
Saturnal

Quote:
Foreign Contacts are a BIG deal. It's not an outright disqualifier though, unless you try to hide it and it gets discovered (they will find it eventually, trust me). If you're planning on going into the Intel/Crypto world, continuing contact with someone in China is going to be an issue. Get everything well documented and let DONCAF make the call.

As far as CTN school, don't bother going to get those certs yourself. All those CompTIA certs are incredibly low level and not worth your time. If you want to learn the material, go for it, but if it were me I would recommend studying for the CCNA over any of the CompTIA certs.

/r
CTT1
Thank you very much for the information. I haven't heard anything in regards to my clearance situation, my recruiters said no news is good news and that I would most likely be alright.

Another question, what are the possibilities for travel as a CTN? I'm aware that most CTNs work at shoreside station, so I presume the travel isn't great. I've read about DIRSUP, how difficult would it be to get as a CTN and what would it entail?

EDIT: Another question. For foreign contacts, does it matter by country or should it be avoided entirely? Prior to enlisting I had a lot of penpals. Would a friend from Taiwan be acceptable as opposed to a friend from China?

Last edited by Saturnal; 12-13-2015 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Added another question.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 PM   #39
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

You haven't heard anything because they haven't even started your ts, and they won't until after you ship out.

Travel opportunities for Ns are very limited. They don't do DIRSUP.

China is a bigger deal than Taiwan, but any foreign contacts you maintain will at the very least delay your clearance because they have to be investigated, if not outright disqualify you. Everyone I knew who had foreign contacts spent months, sometimes years waiting on their clearances while the rest of us were working.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:01 PM   #40
Saturnal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
You haven't heard anything because they haven't even started your ts, and they won't until after you ship out.

Travel opportunities for Ns are very limited. They don't do DIRSUP.

China is a bigger deal than Taiwan, but any foreign contacts you maintain will at the very least delay your clearance because they have to be investigated, if not outright disqualify you. Everyone I knew who had foreign contacts spent months, sometimes years waiting on their clearances while the rest of us were working.
Thank you very much for the information!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM   #41
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnal View Post
Thank you very much for the information. I haven't heard anything in regards to my clearance situation, my recruiters said no news is good news and that I would most likely be alright.

Another question, what are the possibilities for travel as a CTN? I'm aware that most CTNs work at shoreside station, so I presume the travel isn't great. I've read about DIRSUP, how difficult would it be to get as a CTN and what would it entail?

EDIT: Another question. For foreign contacts, does it matter by country or should it be avoided entirely? Prior to enlisting I had a lot of penpals. Would a friend from Taiwan be acceptable as opposed to a friend from China?
Really anyone that isn't from a Five Eyes country (US, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ) is going to be heavily scrutinized. Be upfront with all of your contacts and don't hide anything; failure to report something like that is grounds to lose your clearance for good.

CTNs don't travel really. DIRSUP is not something an N-brancher would be eligible for. In rare cases, there are a few N's that go aboard ships while they're in port to help do some network stuff, but they won't be getting underway with them. The overwhelming majority of N's are at shore sites.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #42
Bakerz1

Bakerz1 is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for posting all the great info. . My son is CTR in boot camp as I type this he is more than half done. We are trying to get an idea of when and how visit(s) to see him in A school work as far as liberty, goes etc.

Anything you can think of that would be helpful and or meaningful for a graduation/Christmas present for a new CTR . We are thinking he probably needs a g-shock watch or something similar and possible a laptop or tablet. . Something that will help him ?

Bakerz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #43
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great thread! It's been a good read. I'm a depper (reserves) that ships out in May as a CTN. You've answered a ton of my questions. However, I have a couple more. I have a friend (that I met at church) that is from Kenya. She was here for college, but ended up moving to Scotland for medical school. I disclosed the relationship on my clearance forms, and gave an explanation of how we met and the nature of our relationship. Will this be an issue? Will it delay my clearance? Also, if I happened to not get the clearance what happens next? Will I be re-rated or what? Thanks.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #44
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Bumping for all the recent CT questions.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #45
Cklansdell2

Cklansdell2 is on a distinguished road
Default Cabin fever

Hello, I'm a paramedic right now so I am accustomed to be able to move around and not be stuck in a office. I signed as a CTR will I be stuck in a closet on a ship for my work space?
Cklansdell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #46
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklansdell2 View Post
Hello, I'm a paramedic right now so I am accustomed to be able to move around and not be stuck in a office. I signed as a CTR will I be stuck in a closet on a ship for my work space?
Not at all. If you do end up on a ship, the classified space you work in is just one of the places you'll be. You'll spend plenty of time out and about the ship; don't sweat it. Really you'll just be in there to do any classified work, stand watch underway, or occasionally do quarters. If anyone tells you that because you do classified work that you'll be holed up somewhere away from the world your whole career, they're full of sh!t.

CTR's can also go many places, of which a ship is just one. Ships, aircrew, subs, shore, and after your 1st tour maybe Special Warfare. So it's possible you'll end up on a boat, sure. But it's also entirely possible you end up going flying, or ride under the waves, or whatever you wanna try and go do.

/r
CTT1
Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #47
Cklansdell2

Cklansdell2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not at all. If you do end up on a ship, the classified space you work in is just one of the places you'll be. You'll spend plenty of time out and about the ship; don't sweat it. Really you'll just be in there to do any classified work, stand watch underway, or occasionally do quarters. If anyone tells you that because you do classified work that you'll be holed up somewhere away from the world your whole career, they're full of sh!t.

CTR's can also go many places, of which a ship is just one. Ships, aircrew, subs, shore, and after your 1st tour maybe Special Warfare. So it's possible you'll end up on a boat, sure. But it's also entirely possible you end up going flying, or ride under the waves, or whatever you wanna try and go do.

/r
CTT1

Thank you... I would love to do air crew... Not a fan of being cooped up all the time so I was worried about that
Cklansdell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #48
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cklansdell2 View Post
Thank you... I would love to do air crew... Not a fan of being cooped up all the time so I was worried about that
Don't be. You can get out and about as much as you want.

/r
CTT1
Old 12-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #49
jccjmgc

jccjmgc is on a distinguished road
Default Some questions about CTT AEF, CTT and CTR

CTT1(SW) Griffin -

Great thread with a ton of useful information about the CT community. My son is getting ready to go in after he graduates high school in May, and is trying to decide between CTT AEF, CTT and CTR. His ASVAB scores are high enough for all three, so should be no issues there.

Do you happen to know what the drop/fail rate is for the AEF school? I was a NUKE, and I remember that if you failed out of nuke school you went into the conventional Navy as your rate (MM, ET, EM). Is CTT AEF similar? Is the AEF school anything to worry about?

Also - do the CTT AEF guys get to do the same ops stuff as the CTTs? He wants to also be involved in operating the equipment, and not just repairing. Being a push button E-4 is intriguing from an advancement perspective, but are there any other advantages for being CTT AEF vs. CTT.

Thanks so much!
jccjmgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #50
nick12

nick12 is on a distinguished road

what kind of college credits are earned from going through CT training. and are CTs often selected for any of the enlisted to officer programs like sta-21?
nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt