NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Hospital Corpsmen G000, L500

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 12-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
ajcorbin

ajcorbin is on a distinguished road
Default Did I mess up anything?

So I signed my contract in Nov for HMDA, my original ship date is 20140513. About two weeks ago my recruiter put in a DAR for me to leave earlier. I get a call this morning from Chief saying there is an opening for march. Here's the kicker...it will be for HM only, I won't be promised DA anymore. I told him to take it because I know I still have a chance for DA. But before they could accept it the system went down. So here's my question. Did I lose my original seating as HM? I want that rating and I know it's somewhat hard to come by. In everyone's opinion, did I do the right thing? Just want to hear unbiased opinions. Thank you in advance for taking the time out to help. Sorry for this being so long :-)
ajcorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
matzo

matzo is on a distinguished road

I would have just stuck with your original ship date.. Now there is no telling when you will start your C-School could be whenever the Navy needs you.
matzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
HMHunt

HMHunt is on a distinguished road

Well, if you want HMDA and you sign a normal contract for HM, you will NOT get DA. Yes, they are "Corpsman", but they are not the same contract. C Schools do not open for Dental, you have to already have it in the initial contract. So, if you want HMDA then I would keep the original ship date.
HMHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
griz3232

griz3232 is on a distinguished road

You screwed up if that is what you want. Don't bitch or complain about it now because you are the one that made the decision. But once you get to bootcamp you will realize that everyone in the HM community wants to go FMF.
griz3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

How did this work out for you Aj? If the system went down before they hit the button, than you are most likely still HMDA as my best guest. Please confirm for us.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
ajcorbin

ajcorbin is on a distinguished road

I don't recall bitching nor complaining, just asking a simple question. Got an earlier ship date which is what I wanted. DA is just something I already know, not against learning something new or different.
ajcorbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Mparker181

Mparker181 is on a distinguished road

you might still have a chance to keep hmda though.. specially if the system went down and you didnt sign. I had to sign a new contract when I got a different rate and ship date.
Mparker181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
kgervais

kgervais is on a distinguished road

So, Dental used to be a rate of its own back in the day but now that it's merged into HM it's only available with a contract for it. If you really wanted to go dental then you've missed the opportunity for basic and advanced dental lab schooling (for now) but you have the option to go to many others. You have a good chance of getting a C school out of A school too if you have an 85+ GPA. I am an HM and I'm in C school for pharmacy tech right now.
kgervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Diesirae27

Diesirae27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgervais View Post
So, Dental used to be a rate of its own back in the day but now that it's merged into HM it's only available with a contract for it. If you really wanted to go dental then you've missed the opportunity for basic and advanced dental lab schooling (for now) but you have the option to go to many others. You have a good chance of getting a C school out of A school too if you have an 85+ GPA. I am an HM and I'm in C school for pharmacy tech right now.
What was your GPA? I'm currently HMDA but have been chewing on changing to HM for a while. I want to get into surgical tech or nuke med as a C school and would prefer hospital assignment over fleet.
Diesirae27 is offline   Reply With Quote