NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Professional Apprenticeship Career Track Program (PACT) > PACT Airman (AN)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 01-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
deejaynvy

deejaynvy is on a distinguished road
Default Pact-airman updated ??'s

Hey everyone, I ship out on February 18th, 2015 and I haven't been able to find any updated information about what goes down as a PACT-Airman. ie: what happens after boot, how long to strike for a rate, if I work hard enough in boot to advance to E-3 and how long to strike then, what my duties might consist of at my first station, and if I request a specific location even as Undes Airman and the location is definitely not a desirable one what the odds are of getting it? Tons of questions I know, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! hooyah
deejaynvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Mavyboy

Mavyboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaynvy View Post
Hey everyone, I ship out on February 18th, 2015 and I haven't been able to find any updated information about what goes down as a PACT-Airman. ie: what happens after boot, how long to strike for a rate, if I work hard enough in boot to advance to E-3 and how long to strike then, what my duties might consist of at my first station, and if I request a specific location even as Undes Airman and the location is definitely not a desirable one what the odds are of getting it? Tons of questions I know, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! hooyah
While I can't speak from experience (I ship 20150408 as PACT Seamen), I can say that it is possible to achieve E-3 in Bootcamp, I know this because of the very helpful sailors on this forum. Pass your DEP-test in basic, and your first PFA and you will become E-2. Now after that it is up to the RDC's to determine if you are worthy of advancement to E-3. (Basically be the best damn Sailor in your division) RDC's can advance up to 10% of their division.

As far as PACT SN goes, and im sure it's the same for all the PACT programs.. You can strike for a rate that you qualify for prior to E-4 exam. So from E-1 I believe that is 2 years. From E-2 that would be 1 year and 3 months, and from E-3 that would be 6 months. Again don't quote me on this, lol. The PACT Airman may be different I'm not sure.
Hope that helps some!
Mavyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

You have 2 years to strike for a rate before you get a taste of the "needs of the Navy" pie. I would highly recommend not being a part of the pact program but it seems late for you. What happens is you'll have your first set of orders picked out for you at the end of boot camp with zero input from you. As air pact, you'll go to Pensacola for 2 weeks to take a basic class and then you'll go to your ultimate command. Then what will most likely happen then is you'll be on a ship, likely a carrier and be stuck in the air department and hate your life as a pseudo ABH/ABE or in the deck department where you'll still hate your life helping out BMs. I've heard way too many stories of pact airman not getting picked up on any rate that isn't AB or BM. They wait and wait until their 2 year limit is up and they become an ABE because they're always short on those, I wonder why.

Did I also mention you can't even take the third class exam until you're rated? So many 3 year E3s around here.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
FutureSailor316

FutureSailor316 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaynvy View Post
Well I reported to my first command in September and I picked up ABF in January. I am in a squadron and ABFs do not go to squadrons. After I take the 3rd class exam I should be getting new orders to a different command. Essentially, every month you will talk to your career counselor and they will have you select up to 3 different ratings. The only thing I had offered to me was AO, ABF, ABH and ABE. When a rating is offered to you, you can put in for it but you may not be selected. Typically, you will get more ratings available to you after about a year or so. Keep in mind, just because you qualify for a rating based on ASVAB scores does not mean you can put in for that rating. I scored an 84 on the ASVAB and I qualify for virtually every rating outside of the nuclear field but I was only ever offered the ABs and the AOs.
FutureSailor316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Jenfantino

Jenfantino is on a distinguished road

Hello! About when did you find out where you would be stationed?
Jenfantino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Agrias
**Active Duty**

Agrias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfantino View Post
Hello! About when did you find out where you would be stationed?
You'll know at the end of boot camp if you're in the PACT program.
Agrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Jenfantino

Really? So they will only give us a few weeks to move? We live in San Diego now, hoping I get stationed here!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Really? So they will only give us a few weeks to move? We live in San Diego now, hoping I get stationed here!
Depending on what job you have, you will be sent to your new command and live in the barracks, so nothing to "move" really...now if you are married that is another story. Most "base housing" has a rather long waiting list and once you find out where you are going your spouse should try and find something that is in your BAH pay. There have been many times a married couple had to wait to be together til housing was found and set up.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Jenfantino

I am in the pact apprentice program so I will only have bootcamp then 2 weeks basic training in Florida. I am married yes. Just worries me to have to move in like a week.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am in the pact apprentice program so I will only have bootcamp then 2 weeks basic training in Florida. I am married yes. Just worries me to have to move in like a week.
Don't worry so much about moving. Just do your training in P-cola and once you figure out your eventual duty station THEN you can figure that part out. And even then, you can stay in the barracks while you shake the moving details out. It doesn't need to be that stressful.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Jenfantino

I don't mind staying in the barracks for a little bit but what about my wife? I won't receive bah pay if I live in the barracks right? So there would be no money for her.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #12
sweetmtn

Quote:
I don't mind staying in the barracks for a little bit but what about my wife? I won't receive bah pay if I live in the barracks right? So there would be no money for her.
You should be getting BAH while you are in boot as well and separation pay. Your BAH amount will likely change as it is based on the location of your duty station, so once you find out where you will be stationed you will know the BAH amount you will get. When you are able to live together again the separation pay will end.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
Jenfantino

But by me staying in the barracks will we still get bah or will that be taken away since I will be there?
Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
sweetmtn

Quote:
But by me staying in the barracks will we still get bah or will that be taken away since I will be there?

As long as you are married and have to live apart you will get BAH...for your spouse...and will continue. You will get BAH while you are in boot and that amount will be what continues until you find housing at your permanent duty station. Where ever you get the BAH amount is determined by the zip code.