NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtinez View Post
3. And I know SERE is kind of an unspoken thing, but I've aways been beyond interested in aircrew and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight or advice. Also, if you fail out or DOR of NACCS or SERE, I'm assuming you just go back to your NIOC and keep your rating?
SERE isn't that bad... okay, yeah it is... but you can't actually DOR from it (For obvious reasons, there is no such thing as a DOR or Training Time Out policy out there); once you hit the field, you're either leaving on a gurney, or you're walking out with a certificate. As far as NACCS goes, it's tougher than most Navy schools... but nowhere near SpecWar tough. Check out some of the threads in the AW subforum for specifics.

I'd definitely advocate for Aircrew... but then I'm also biased.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
momtinez

momtinez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I'd definitely advocate for Aircrew... but then I'm also biased.
I honestly wanted to be an air(wo)man so ungodly bad, but the opportunities with CTI were too much for me to pass up. I've read through all the AW threads numerous times though, including every single one of your posts lol and at least CT gives me the opportunity to do both. Id like to become an officer eventually and the plans (unless Intel really speaks to me) was initially NFO or pilot. So I'd have to do all the aircrew stuff anyways. I qualified for everything in MEPS, so that's always good. Can't wait until I can figure all this out and get the ball rolling. Just gotta wait until my ship date...

Navy Mom
momtinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #3
Brandon7310

Brandon7310 is on a distinguished road

I Just finished with MEPS and picked CTT with a 6 year contract, I was wondering how long I can expect school to be? i have been trying to read up online... but I get mostly mixed answers so any help would be greatly appreciated

My second question would be would i spend most of my time on a ship or am i able to get just as much shore time?

i ship on 20150601 to RTC.
Brandon7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
momtinez

momtinez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon7310 View Post
I Just finished with MEPS and picked CTT with a 6 year contract, I was wondering how long I can expect school to be? i have been trying to read up online... but I get mostly mixed answers so any help would be greatly appreciated
image.jpg

Hope that helped

Navy Mom
momtinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon7310 View Post

My second question would be would i spend most of my time on a ship or am i able to get just as much shore time?

i ship on 20150601 to RTC.
So as a 6 year you're going to be a technician (vs being an operator). Don't read into that too much; that just means you're in school longer to be trained on repairing the equipment. You still get to operate just as much as the rest of us.

Expect about a year and some change of time in Pensacola.

You'll definitely be on a ship your first tour. The average working day in port (when you're not on duty) is about 0700-1600. Underway, your work day will be 0700-1600 plus whatever hours you're standing watch. So you'll get plenty of time ashore, don't worry.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have specific questions just let me know. I'm actually working today so I just don't have a ton of time to get really into detail. I can touch base this week though!

/r
CTT1
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Brandon7310

Brandon7310 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
So as a 6 year you're going to be a technician (vs being an operator). Don't read into that too much; that just means you're in school longer to be trained on repairing the equipment. You still get to operate just as much as the rest of us.

Expect about a year and some change of time in Pensacola.

You'll definitely be on a ship your first tour. The average working day in port (when you're not on duty) is about 0700-1600. Underway, your work day will be 0700-1600 plus whatever hours you're standing watch. So you'll get plenty of time ashore, don't worry.

/r
CTT1

thanks a ton i really appreciate the response, if i can think of any questions i will definitely message you with them.
Brandon7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

I have a buddy of mine in my class that is really interested in the TIO but he is a reservists. Would he be able to, after a few years, be able to apply straight to TIO and then go active duty? Or would he need to make the switch to active and then do a few years before he can start the application process? We are just curious because usually active duty would have to do a tour first from my understanding.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGuard07 View Post
I have a buddy of mine in my class that is really interested in the TIO but he is a reservists. Would he be able to, after a few years, be able to apply straight to TIO and then go active duty? Or would he need to make the switch to active and then do a few years before he can start the application process? We are just curious because usually active duty would have to do a tour first from my understanding.
There is a reserve TIO unit, but they're only taking prior active guys who already have the NEC. So he wouldn't be able to get into it straight through the reserves. They want the guys they take to be seasoned and have some operations under their belt, and as a reservist, you just aren't going to be able to get that kind of expierance.

If TIO is something he really has his heart set on, then he would need to go active duty first, do a full tour as a CT, and then he could apply.

/r
CTT1

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt