NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 11-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySpouse View Post
Good point, I'm overreacting, but was really looking forward to the one. It's hard to just feel like I'm along for the ride and be okay with it, but it's something to work towards. It's hard to be in the blind though, even if I have questions for her, I can't get any answered from her for like two weeks, but I guess that's kind of the point of boot camp to prepare us for it.
So as some one in the Persian-Farsi course right now they do not consider it Arabic... at all. They do group it in the sand language group with MSA arabic and the 3 main dialects, Dari, Urdu, Pashto, and Hebrew. All that it means is Ga. PF is not a bad deal. I enjoy it a lot and we have one of the nicer group of teachers. Anywho. When your sailor arrives here they can request to change while in indoc and if available they can change. We had a span go to korean and an arabic go to spanish and others have changed serveral times. It all comes down to scores. Any more questions that I am able to answer for you I will. Soon to be out of monterey though, thank god!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
When your sailor arrives here they can request to change while in indoc and if available they can change. We had a span go to korean and an arabic go to spanish and others have changed serveral times. It all comes down to scores.
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in [REDACTED 1] makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

[REDACTED 2] is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in [REDACTED 2] is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in [REDACTED 3] doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of my wife's family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm mostly torn between [REDACTED 1] and [REDACTED 2] to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201

Last edited by JoeSpook; 11-05-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: formatting herp derps, REDACTing.
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Joe,

I would hit up Jzhaun, as he is our resident CTI. I work with CTI types, but I don't know enough about your A-school to answer that as well as he could.

====================================

I also recieved the following message in my inbox and am replying here;

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktemplar
Hi man,

I'm having trouble decipher the main differences between these three rates.

Also CTIs start as E1, as in unlike lets say Nuke or AECF dont get an auto rank, right?

-Tommy

The rates you mentioned were CTT, CTI, and IS. So I'll hit them in that order.

CTT: T-branchers are the Navy's Electronic Warfare experts. On ships we are responsible for Anti-Ship Missile Defense (ASMD), as well as Electronic Intelligence (ELINT). We use and maintain our equipment to monitor radar signals from ships, aircraft, shore sites, and missiles, and in some cases deny the use of these systems to our enemy. Shore side you would be working at a NIOC doing the same thing minus the ASMD part. As a whole, CTT's can get stationed on ships, ashore, on subs, and attached as Aircrew.

CTI: I-branchers are the Navy's language experts. They cover all different kinds of languages from Russian and Chinese to Spanish and Arabic. There are entire ranges of lesser spoken languages in there as well. CTI's spend most of their career at a NIOC and alternate CONUS//OCONUS duty stations. Your designated language will dictate where you get stationed (certain languages go certain places obviously).

IS: IS's work with what we call "All-Source" intelligence. Where the CT community are the technical experts, IS's are responsible for the bigger picture to include trends, historical relevance, and geo-political landscape. IS's spend quite a bit of time preparing briefs for senior personnel and going over the myriad of reports from other organizations. They are also responsible for Human Intelligence (HUMINT). IS's are stationed on larger ships typically and on shore sites around the world.

On the topic of auto-rank, that all just depends on how long you're in training for. The whole reason they bump people up like that is because they spend so long in training. If they didn't they would significantly be behind their peers career wise. So it's kind of a way to balance the playing field career wise. Different rates and specialties are in training for different time periods, so it just depends what specific program you land in.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpook View Post
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in HI makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

GA is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in GA is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in TX doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of her family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm torn between HI and GA to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?
It's not going to be about your scores. I mean, if you have a 100 and want Arabic that's probably not happening, but as long as you're within the range they don'tt care. What it's about is luck. Basically it's the same as a Dar - somebody didn't show up and now there's a slot. It's only going to work for languages that they're currently filling classes for, which are usually but not always the same languages they offer you at boot camp.

As far as languages go - Russian guys go to Maryland first tour. Sand languages tend to be more of a gamble (less people pass) but also make more money. I would always recommend to go with the language you like best though, because in my experience, most people who aren't interested in their language for its own sake don't pass.

Ps-person asking about ranking up as a cti: we get e2 at the end of boot camp and e4 at the end of a school.

Last edited by jzhaun; 11-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

While it may be obvious in most cases, lets stay away from mentioning what specific assets are being deployed where.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #6
HSBSailor

HSBSailor is on a distinguished road
Default CTI enlistment bonus

What is the current 11/3/2014 status of the CTI enlistment bonus? Not the school loan program but the EB per the 1/24/2014 message promulgating the CTI-ATF bonus paid upon DLI A/F school completion? Thanks!
HSBSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBSailor View Post
What is the current 11/3/2014 status of the CTI enlistment bonus? Not the school loan program but the EB per the 1/24/2014 message promulgating the CTI-ATF bonus paid upon DLI A/F school completion? Thanks!
As far as I know CTI bonuses are based on whatever language you are assigned and they fluctuate frequently.

Jzhaun is our local CTI and could shed a bit more light on it for you.

/r
CTT1
Old 11-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
TBBURKE

TBBURKE is on a distinguished road

I was offered 10k or LRP upon signing my CTI contract in April.
TBBURKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cryptologic, ctm, ctn, ctr, ctt