View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

As far as the Honor Guard for the Navy, it is a 3 year commitment! My Army son knows most all of the Navy ones stuck there at Arlington, they are mostly E1 and E2's and almost all are SEAL drop outs. They cannot promote beyond E3 while there, which really sucks. Once those that are there that are due to being dropped from SEALS, they then can TRY and strike for a new rate, most dont get to and are processed out of the navy. Those that have a rate and have been picked to do this from boot, can go on to their prospective A and C schools and finally get to fleet...IF they arr in a rate where they still have time on their contract and OR are able to re-enlist if needed.
One thing to know about living in that area, drugs is a BIG BIG problem for military personnel there, there are an average of 3 processed out each week due to this, sad really, and it is NOT fun for the military person or his/her family if this happens. My son just had to help remove a spouse and all their belongings from a private home, the kids were taken away by CPS, the military person was confined to base with NO PAY OR BAH, the wife was dropped off at a bus station with no money...(she was caught trying to bring drugs on the base there at Arlington). Being there are numerous colleges there, drugs and drinking are rampant and a big problem for all branches of the service. My son is so very glad to be gone from there and on his way to S. Korea instead! Even though it is UN-accompanied! His wife is moving back to Iowa while he is gone.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote