View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfishbluefish View Post
Hi everyone!

I made it through MEPS with flying colors and landed the rating I wanted! I'm beyond excited for April to get here but still left with lots of questions.

I can't seem to get any information from the recruiters or google about how the training differs for a reservist. It certainly doesn't make sense for the Navy to spend what appears to add up to over a year of training just to let me go back to my regular job and train once or twice a month...

I realize the specialty schools (the A school?) come after NACCS so I wouldn't know which specific school I would get til then but they seem fairly similar in length.

That being said, looking through the rating cards it looks like it's basic, NACCS, the specialty school, SERE, then an undetermined number of weeks in the flight squadron? Yes? But from talking to an aircrew physical trainer today he made it sound like I'll be skipping out on a lot of this because I'm not active so the Navy has no reason to give me all that training... More like I'll be a flight attendant of sorts with the least training they can give me.

Does anyone have any experience with how all this works for a reservist? Wish I could go active but the family is barely tolerating this decision. =(

Really appreciate it!
The vast majority of reservists will go to VR squadrons and help out with things like cargo and passenger (aka Pax) flights, typically on C-40s or something similar. Flight Attendant is a crappy term for it; they're usually responsible for getting the aircraft ready to go and managing the passengers and cargo.

You won't be doing anything like P-8's, EP-3's, or things like that. A very select few of FTS reservists got into the P-3 Flight Engineer program for reserve squadrons, but it doesn't sound like you're FTS.

It's not a bad gig at all though. Hopefully you make it through the pipeline and Haasino and I will see you in the air! Fly Navy!!

/r
CTT1