View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Diverdee90

Diverdee90 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
THU... so common for Aircrew and the like that they might as well just consider it part of our training pipeline, haha! I was in THU for a little over 2 months after graduation due to a LASIK waiver... the reason his existing waiver isn't good is because that was granted through BUMED (Bureau of Medicine and Surgery)... now it has to be granted by NAMI (Naval Aerospace Medical Institute). BUMED is Big Navy... NAMI is Flyer Navy... and, as your son will come to learn, they do not talk to each other. It can be frustrating because it means staying in Great Lakes for a waiver he already got, but it shouldn't be more than just a check in the box before he continues on.

THU wasn't a bad gig when I was there in 2012... AW's usually got some sort of Admin job or worked Night of Arrival bringing fresh Recruits from the Airport and getting them processed in. He'll have off-base liberty during the weekend, and can take the train down to Chicago or head up to Milwaukee. When I was there, the "A" School side of Great Lakes was not considered off-base, so we could walk or taxi over there.

Looking back, it was a pretty sweet opportunity: I got to know Sailors in the Nuke and Special Warfare community that I wouldn't have otherwise known, and I got just enough time to really explore Chicago before continuing on down to Florida for the remainder of my training. Chicago is an extremely military-friendly city... pretty much every museum is free, so he can have several weekends worth of adventure for only the price of a train ticket and food.

Haasino - so during his free time/liberty would he be able to drive a car or no? We live in the suburbs of Chicago and will go visit him but wasn't sure if he would be able to drive a car during this time. And he would have his cell phone and electronics during this time also? Thank you so much for the info..

Diverdee90 is offline   Reply With Quote