View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Trigz;

CTN's are the Navy's Cyber Warfare and Security experts. If you're into Cyber Security, then this is the rate for you. Keep in mind however that this rating requires a Top Secret security clearance. So talk to your recruiter and make sure this is something you're comfortable/able to apply for.

CTN's, like almost all the other CT branches will attend A-school at Corry Station in Pensacola, Florida (Best A-school location in the Navy if you ask me). You will go through a program known as JCAC, which from what I hear is quite challenging. It's not impossible to pass, but it's not something you breeze through. After A-school, some Sailors will head to further schools (C-schools) while others go to the Fleet.

As a whole, CTN's are mostly a shore-based rate. You will work in large faculties that support intelligence and security objectives in the Cyber realm. There are a few chances to get aboard ships for things like security audits on Navy networks, but for the most part you're going to be a shore-based Sailor. Even if you aren't going to sea however, you're still going to be plenty engaged doing some badass stuff (obviously nothing that can be discussed here). Overall, I have yet to meet a CTN that didn't waste an opportunity to tell me how much they loved their job.

I do want to add a something to the whole majority shore duty thing though. There ARE opportunities to do some badass stuff as a CT in Spec-Ops, and that would be in TIO. One of the admins left a good little post up about TIO if a desk job just isn't enough for you (see URL below). Keep in mind though that information on this program will be scarce, as everything TIO does is highly classified. And also realize that you're going to be held to the same physical standards that other Spec-Ops guys are. Below is the URL for that post.
http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049

Hopefully that sheds a little bit of light on the rating for ya! Let me know if you have further questions.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote