View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
WhiskeyCharlie

WhiskeyCharlie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackthespartan View Post
Thanks for the advice. Could you give me an overview of what the base at NAS Pensacola is like? Such as, where the barracks for single sailors are located, where the classroom buildings are, the NEX, etc. Also, is there a duty driver there? If so, where do they dropoff/pickup and what is their usual route?
The barracks are pretty nice and you'll be in the Abraham Lincoln (Alpha). You will have one or two roomates and up to 3 headmates. A minifridge and microwave are provided. Everything is within walking distance. The NEX isn't bad. There is a Starbucks, Taco Bell, A&W, Pizza Hut, Subway, Panda Express, a pizza place and a bar if you are of age. There is a pool table in the barracks and plenty of vending machines for snacks. There are a couple lounges on each floor with couches and TV's. No cable in the rooms but there is WIFI you can sign up for and pay for. I bought a TV and Xbox when I got here and do not regret that decision at all (Netflix for days!). You can have you're car but don't really need it to get around the base. The schoolhouse is about a 5 minute walk up a hill and you will march with the school house to and from class in the mornings and after class. For chow, you march with the block you are currently in. You get about an hour to eat. There are always cabs on base if you want to go off base and a bus as well. It's is free if you are in uniform. When you first get here you will be Phase 1. You have to go through a week of Indoc and a Saturday class before you can leave base. No civillian clothes while in phase one, and no drinking. You will also have a muster every night around 930. Phase 2 is 3 weeks long and no more 930 musters, you can wear civillian clothes, drink and stay out till midnight on the weekends. Phase 3 is overnight liberty on the weekends. Being an AC, you will be here for quite a while and it gets boring. You get to the point where you don't recognize very many people because most of the other rates are out of here in a month or two. Study hard! I graduate next Tuesday at the top of my class with a 95 average and that is very hard to do. After Block 1, it is pretty easy untill that last written test. It's a bitch and by the time you get there, you are burnt out from studying. Block 3 (radar) is really fun! You will also be put back down to phase 1 if you don't maintain an 80 average or better. The chow here is pretty good, but the lines are a bitch sometimes. There is a gym within walking distance and near the NEX, but is usually packed. There is another one about a mile away and much nicer. There is also a movie theater by the NEX which has movies about a month old for only a couple bucks. You are hear to study and learn your job, do just that and you will be just fine. I have seen some people get in some big trouble down here and they are starting their careers off on the wrong foot. I hoped this helped!
WhiskeyCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote