View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
calie89

calie89 is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I am not going to claim to know what life as an FC is like. I have been in school the entire time I have been in the Navy. As for school life, its pretty easy. Your main responsibility is to learn your job. Just go to school, stand a few watches, and get lots of liberty time.

As for life as an FC in the fleet, the only experience I have is from what others (mostly instructors) have told me. The biggest determining factor in what your day to day life is like is what kind of FC you are (SPY, ACNT, FCS, CIWS, etc)
Each one works on different kind of equipment, and will stand different watches.

So, while in school, listen to what the instructors say about their respective NECs, and learn what each one is about, and decide which ones fit you. I decided on SPY because I wanted to be busy a lot. I wanted to be an AEGIS tech. I wanted to stand out for being good at my job.

Also, keep in mind that everyones experience is different. Try to take what others say under consideration, but try not to take it as gospel. Just because you like one instructor, and he says that his NEC is the best, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be for you.

Overall, life as an FC is spent maintaining, repairing and operating your equipment, whichever NEC it is you choose. So, pick the equipment that you will be willing to spend the time to get to know, so you can be good at your job.

Sorry that was so long and scatter brained...hope it helps.
calie89 is offline   Reply With Quote