Thread: Really Nervous
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
F.S.CTR_Hyder

F.S.CTR_Hyder is on a distinguished road
Default Nervous, Too

Hey there, fellow Future Sailor! I wouldn't stress too much about trying to get into tip-top physical shape. If you're already decently prepared, then it should be a breeze once you get there, because you'll have plenty of time to work on getting in better shape. Also, don't stress about the first PFA, because the RDCs are trying to get a reading to see where everyone in your division is at, physically. I am also not in the best shape of my life; my mile-and-a-half run was 14:08 just 3 days ago (female satisfactory-high), and I would like to shave off at least 40 seconds to get a good-low. I felt completely winded when I was finished, and my chest was hurting a lot from not practicing in a while. If you're feeling better than that when you're done running, you're already doing a great job. For practice while you're waiting, I would say to look up the PRT standards for your age and at least aim for a sat-low. Then practice doing the most push-ups, sit-ups and just run for running's sake without pressuring yourself with a time limit (but try to run at least 1.5 miles) throughout the week, and settle on a day that you decide to actually practice a PRT. (i.e. Practice all 3 every other day, and then on Saturday or Sunday, do a mock-PRT). Have confidence in yourself, and good luck!

P.S. I am scheduled to leave in July, but I have asked my recruiter for an early ship date. My LPO at DEP said that several people have left within 2 days to a week after they asked to leave early, so I am extremely nervous that I will be getting a call any day now stating that there's an opening within a week from the call. I am nervous as well. I hope it helps to know that there are others in a similar situation!