View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Maverick07

Maverick07 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
I've got good friends in various phases of the NNPTC training pipeline... it's not worth it unless you really like nuclear power. Most of the ones who were just in it for the bonus have rolled out of their classes or dropped out all together.

How's your fitness and swimming? If you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion, the Naval Aircrewman Operator (AWO) rating may also appeal to you if you like money, computers, and travelling... we get Top Secret/SCI clearances, which are worth a lot of money to private companies if you choose to get out. And we also get extra flight pay every month and make an average of $5k-$20k in per diem on every deployment (depending on location)... our jobs involve the ultimate form of hide-and-seek, sub-hunting, as well as operating Anti-Surface Warfare systems that, while classified, are pretty freaking cool... and for travelling, we go to all the usual places ships tend to go, as well as locations like the Netherlands, El Salvador, the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Rota, Spain, Sigonella, Sicily, etc... as an AW, you're going to get much more time off the flight-line to enjoy your deployment or detachment site as well... mandatory crew rest means you shall have at least 12hrs of "rest" between missions... "rest" usually means drinking or sightseeing.

Aircrew is a lengthy and challenging training pipeline though... AWO specifically is over 1.5 years in training with a lot of physical, intellectual, and emotional challenges associated. But it's absolutely worth it! PM me if you want more info.

The AWO rating is on my dream list. I narrowed it down to Nuke, AC, IS, and AWO. I'm leaning towards IS and AWO currently. I love computers, analyzing, and physical work. I do half-ironman triathlons and swim a lot and would like to use both my intellectual and physical skills. Trying to find as much info as I can on the AWO rate.
Maverick07 is offline   Reply With Quote