View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaGuy View Post
I completely know how you feel. The same exact thing happened to me. I went to school for software engineering though, dropped out half way, but still built a ton of software that were personal projects, competed in hack a thons, and this got me some attention.

In IT can you build stuff? As a coder guy, I never really learned much about IT. Is it possible to build stuff with your IT skills?

e.g. I could write some code that will display a ted feed, link to the original post, build a vote system for users to say whether they liked the talk or not, then have the UI element do some neat animation off the screen if the user votes down. Building personal projects like this & open sourcing the code got some employers to interview me.

Is there equivalent stuff to do in IT ?

During my schooling we were introduced to basics of computers then went in depth further. We learned about the different components of a computer, how to assemble it, test if it works, also learned some programming like HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, made some simple website forms for projects and stuff, and more on the topics we learned about handling a business and applying your IT skills in a company whether its managing a server, doing maintenance, updates, security and stuff.

You'll be building a PC from scratch if that's what you meant. But most of the time you dont really build alot. You just assist the needs of the business being able to support, troubleshoot, finding the cause of the problem of why the PC isn't working or this particular programs like Outlook, MS Office and stuff. Also pretty much implement ideas along the way to improve your systems.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote