View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 AM   #7
IdeaGuy

IdeaGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
Thank you for all the information, you guys are right, i should intend to have a backup.

The reason i had in mind to choose specifically IT was that i was interested more in gearing towards computer systems, and network which i saw the IT had and the certifications they receive which led me to be interested.

Anything that dealt with like let's say military radar, and others was not what I had in mind because I have gained a well understanding with what I learned in college, but yes i think i should consider having a backup because i would never know. But i appreciate all the help in making my decision to join and choose what i want to do.

It's been about two months since i graduated from college, and its been rough filling applications to tons of businesses. I could have filled over 100+ and yet to hear from a select few of 2-3 and get screened and interviewed but never heard back, which made me feel that I lacked experience which led me to discover the Navy which was recommended by some friends, and what they can provide you.
I completely know how you feel. The same exact thing happened to me. I went to school for software engineering though, dropped out half way, but still built a ton of software that were personal projects, competed in hack a thons, and this got me some attention.

In IT can you build stuff? As a coder guy, I never really learned much about IT. Is it possible to build stuff with your IT skills?

e.g. I could write some code that will display a ted feed, link to the original post, build a vote system for users to say whether they liked the talk or not, then have the UI element do some neat animation off the screen if the user votes down. Building personal projects like this & open sourcing the code got some employers to interview me.

Is there equivalent stuff to do in IT ?
IdeaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote