View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to take a moment to bump this page and offer a link to an official Navy Blog regarding social media and open source intelligence gathering.

Four Things to Know about Operations Security and Your Privacy

For those who haven't been following the news, the names, photographs, addresses, and family of ~ 100 service members were posted online with calls for lone-wolf attacks against them. Many of those names are navy personnel... and a few of them are here at my base. While the direct threat from groups like ISIS are relatively low, we live in a society full of psychopaths who will do crazy sh*t to get a little fame or feel like they're supporting a cause.

I strongly encourage all Future Sailors, and even some of the Active Duty members, to follow the links provided and really think about what they're offering to the public through social media. The folks like CTT1 and I aren't the ones at risk here, because the nature of our jobs trains us about this type of thing... it's the DEPper, the recently graduated, the ABH, the LS, the MA, etc. who are unfortunately not given nearly enough PERSEC training and are essentially the most at-risk.

We're all proud of what we do/what we are preparing to do... and nobody is telling you that you should hide or feel ashamed of your oath or service... just be careful how public your affiliation is to those looking to do someone harm.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote