View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaGuy View Post
I completely know how you feel. The same exact thing happened to me. I went to school for software engineering though, dropped out half way, but still built a ton of software that were personal projects, competed in hack a thons, and this got me some attention.

In IT can you build stuff? As a coder guy, I never really learned much about IT. Is it possible to build stuff with your IT skills?

e.g. I could write some code that will display a ted feed, link to the original post, build a vote system for users to say whether they liked the talk or not, then have the UI element do some neat animation off the screen if the user votes down. Building personal projects like this & open sourcing the code got some employers to interview me.

Is there equivalent stuff to do in IT ?
If you're talking about IT's in the Navy, as in the rate, they aren't going to be doing much coding.

Your best bet for that would be CTN. And if you were to head that route I would say have a good understanding of a few high and low level languages, especially anything based in C.

/r
CTT1