View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
Kyledmorgan

Kyledmorgan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasino View Post
What's your current height/weight? As long as you can meet the weight/BMI standards for the Navy and the job is available, you should be able to sign for it. You need to be aware, however, that Aircrew is a very physically and mentally demanding job... you're going to be required to attend and complete a 4-week Candidate School between RTC and A School that will push you physically and mentally to ensure you have what's required to be a Naval Aircrewman. Everything they do at NACCS is 100% perfection and by-the-regs... so if you ship to RTC right around your max BMI, you're almost certainly going to fail the tape test at NACCS. We're also held to a higher PT standard both at NACCS, and at A School... even at 28 years old, I'm required to complete my 1.5mi run 2min under what the Navy requires.

Additionally, if you show up out of shape, you're gonna be thrown into such an extreme PT routine that your body may literally not be able to handle the exertion, regardless of how determined you are. I saw a lot of candidates develop shin splints, stress fractures, prepatellar bursitis, twisted ankles, etc. from PT and end up dropped because they went Light Limited Duty and couldn't PT. One candidate f'd up his hip so bad on a run while I was there that he was not only dropped, but is being offered a medical disability retirement from the Navy after less than a year in service!

None of this is meant to frighten or discourage anyone from the job... I just want to make sure any prospective applicants are well aware of what they're getting into and can come prepared.

I actually appreciate your honesty and believe me, you have not sent me running in the other direction. From what you have told me I actually have a deeper passion to pursue this rate, because not only do I want this because I have a very strong interest in aviation, but I am also the type of person who runs toward a challenge instead of running away.

As for my height/weight I am 6'7''/284lbs. I have currently have a tape of 23.5% BF and falling. I go back to MEPS on 7/29 for a re-tape. (which me failing my tape test during my initial visit who a whole different story in itself)
Kyledmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote