Thread: IT tasks?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Musicgeek007

Musicgeek007 is on a distinguished road

Let me start with I am not in the Navy yet, so don't take everything I say as true. This is just what I've read (I spend at least 8 hours a day reading the internet at work). From my understanding there is two sides of IT. System Administration and Radio/Comms. I have no idea which is more common.

System administration is more along what a civilian IT person would be doing. Maintaining the network, ect. I remember reading something that at C school they learn how to load windows onto computers, troubleshooting different computer problems, ect. I here a lot of people talking about being friends with these people on a ship is good when the ships internet is down and such.

I don't really know anything about Comms, but I'm sure its what it sounds like. Operating communication systems.

Also you can earn certifications as an IT that are important if you want a civilian job in network administration. A+, Cisco certification, just to name a couple. I personally already have my CCENT (cisco).

To answer your question about diversity, it depends what size ship you are placed on. You could be responsible for all sides of IT or just one.

This is the job that I'm hoping to snag at MEPS. I've done a lot of research and reading. Most of my info comes from the nice people on Reddit. Hopefully an IT on here can be a little more in depth about what it is they actually do and provide both of us with some insight.
Musicgeek007 is offline   Reply With Quote