View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #27
scott.henry

scott.henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double 00 Jetti View Post
thanks prop for all the information. it has been really helpful. i just got told today that i got accepted into the nuke program and now im just waiting for a ship date! I had to get an age waiver because im about to be 26 this month. Also I have a degree in electronics engineering so i am hoping to go ETn.

Anyway, I noticed you also wanted ETn but said you were glad you got EMn instead. I could go either way but im not sure which to pick because no one will tell me what each one actually does AFTER school lol .

I was hoping you could enlighten me. Why are you glad you got EMn over ETn?
Here's the scoop on what each rate does when they actually get to the Fleet. This is mostly from a submarine perspective, but it's similar on the surface.

EM: EM's are responsible for everything electrical on a submarine. If it has electricity running to it, E-Div is responsible for maintaining it. This includes every motor and generator on the boat, all of the galley equipment, water heaters, lighting, circuit breakers and electrical distribution systems, and more. A new electrician on the boat will work toward qualification as Electrical Operator. This is the person responsible for operating the electric plant when the propulsion plant is up and running. Prior to that qualification, junior electricians will stand watch as Throttleman or Auxiliary Electrician. EM's also qualify as a Shutdown Reactor Operator. Electricians ALWAYS have maintenance to do because they are responsible for so much equipment. A lot of that maintenance results in getting covered in carbon dust.

ET: ET's are responsible for everything having to do with reactor instrumentation and control. Any piece of equipment related to those things will be maintained by ET's. This involves periodic testing of the equipment to ensure proper response to ensure reactor safety. New ET's will work toward qualification as Reactor Operator. They are the ones sitting at the panel when the plant is up and running. ET's also qualify as Shutdown Reactor Operator. Prior to those qualifications ET's qualify and stand watch as Reactor Technician, monitoring all of the reactor control equipment outside the maneuvering room.

MM: God's chosen rate. MM's operate and maintain all mechanical equipment associated with the propulsion plant. This includes pumps, valves, heat exchangers, and turbines. They also operate the air conditioning units. They work on steam, lube oil, and seawater systems as well. MM's get pretty dirty in the course of their work. the goal for new MM's on the boat is to qualify as Engine Room Supervisor. Prior to that you will qualify several other mechanical watchstations. (3 or 4 depending on the class of boat.)

Engineering Laboratory Technician (ELT): ELT's are a branch off of the MM rate. Following Prototype, some MM's will be selected to go to ELT school before they go to their first boat. Most are volunteers but, in my case, I was "volun-told" to go. ELT's have 2 main functions. First is chemistry. ELT's take water samples from various systems in the plant at the required frequencies and analyze them for various chemical parameters. They then make the necessary adjustments to keep theses parameters within the required specification. Pretty much like a pool boy. Their second function is radiological controls (RADCON). This involves performing radiation and contamination surveys throughout the ship on a routine basis, controlling any radioactive material generated during maintenance, and responding to any radiological casualties that may occur such as radioactive liquid spills. Since ELT's are MM's, they will qualify and stand all of the normal MM watches.

"If you can't write it down, you don't understand it."
-ADM H.G. Rickover

Last edited by scott.henry; 07-21-2019 at 06:33 AM.
scott.henry is offline   Reply With Quote