View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Angst

Angst is on a distinguished road

I realize this is an outdated thread, but in case someone in the future wants to know the answers to some of these questions, perhaps I can be of help.

I'm an EM on a carrier so if you're on a small boy your experience will be radically different. The type of specialized work we do on carriers depends on which shop you get assigned to, for example hotel services fixes laundry machines, and galley equipment for very grateful CS's in nice places like the chiefs mess, CO's galley, and the wardrooms and they will make YOU food while everyone else stands in a 3 hour lunch line for the mess decks.

Other shops like power shop maintain the generators for special frequency loads such as radars. General Services, or battery and lighting are your typical customer service oriented electricians, you will fix ventilation, and lighting, and maintain the AC plants (but you don't change light bulbs no matter what anyone says to the contrary).

You will be assigned a secret clearance if you are eligible because we own equipment in the reactor plants. You will work long hours no matter what you do underway, but if you like troubleshooting and figuring out why something doesn't work, and the satisfaction that you gain from being the person who solves that problem, you should be pretty happy with your choice.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote