Thread: Aviation
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
Underwood

Underwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailor316 View Post
Yes my recruiter is pretty confident that I will be able to get a rate pretty quickly.
Your recruiter is a lier. But it depends. Over here in Japan it is like impossible to strike, depending on what you want to do. When you get your wish list in boot camp. Be careful what you put. If you want to be a mechanic(AM, AD, AE, AT) put down squadrons on the list. Odds are if you put a amphibious ship (like I did) you will be put in air department working with the ABs. They also told me that since I had a "record" (past DUI) I wasn't eligible to go overseas as my first command but I still ended up in Japan... With out my wife... . I've been e3 since September. Every month they will give you a list of jobs you can strike for (with 2 different ways of striking : RED Quotas and Exam quotas which are e4 tests) . But in my situation I can't strike any at all because all the rates im given are over manned on this ship. But this might be an overseas thing I don't know.
I've been here for almost 6 months. After a year on-board A_School billets open up and I have a chance to strike that and go back to Florida for school. That's what I'm hoping for but until then I'm "undez for life" cuz I won't be an AB.
Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote