Thread: Here to help
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
nick93

nick93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventures View Post
For the swim test at basic is it looked down upon if you dont swim the 500? My recruiter told me that I could do something else for twelve minutes but im scared that it will look bad. Also did you practice a prone float? I cant seem to hold my breathe under water, are you allowed to hold your head up?

the biggest problem i had with the swim test was jumping off the platform. its maybe 10 feet up but im scared of hieghts lol i got over that fast. they are gonna have you line up and two at a time stand on the edge of the platform with your toes right on the edge. you cross your arms and they count to 3 and give a little push and you jump in. all you have to do is make it to the other side of the pool and you pass. you can do pretty much any stroke you want as long as you dont go under the water. youll be suprised how may people join the navy and cant swim. if for whatever reason you dont pass you will be able to go to try it again until you pass. if you dont youll be held back from your division. we lost one guy due to that. everyone else that couldnt swim was able to pass eventually.

for the prone float this i just floated and counted to 10 and picked my head up for a few minutes and did it again until they told me to get out. again if you have problems they will being you back almost everyday to teach you and make sure you pass. just give it your best shot. i dont think that youll have anything to worry about. they will make sure you get the help you need and pass.
nick93 is offline   Reply With Quote