View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
Coppertop

Coppertop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
IT's go EVERYWHERE, from shore, to sea, small boats to carriers, small comm stations to the the largest, they even have ITs in squadrons.

How you get to a particular station is more or less luck. I ended up going to NCTAMS PAC in Wahiawa HI right out of boot camp. Every IT class is different, I knew some classes their teacher told the recruiter to send EVERYONE to a ship, our class was based on class ranking.. the #1 person in the class got first pick out of all of the available orders. We had a lot of shore duties, admiral staffs.. but for me, I lucked out. The first half of the school was all computers which I ended up in the top 3. The second half was communications/satellites which I bombed.. and ended up dead last by the end of the school. The guy before me getting orders picked a ship out of Japan.. I went up to choose, and the detailer said "I'm sorry, ran out of orders" so after class I asked him what do I do, he asked me.. where do I want to go? I told him Hawaii or Iceland. He said he will see what he can do. A week later he said, I have orders to Guam, 2 years shore duty. I though, Guam, wtf is that? No thanks. A week later he came back and said, congratulations you are going to Hawaii. and my entire class hated me. lol
How'd you end up liking NCTAMS? Current ADP-type IT here, have some buddies who got sent over to the soul sucking NCTAMS LANT and they absolutely hated it. Granted its Norfolk vs Hawa'ii, but how is the actual work environment I wonder?
Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote