View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
scott.henry

scott.henry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
It really varies throughout the year. The ships are constantly going through maintenance periods, training, exercises, you name it. So there really isn't a baseline of how often you'll be back and forth. It's flexible.

As a Submariner however, you'll do crew rotations. So the time your crew isn't on the boat, you obviously won't be going underway.

/r
CTT1
The crew rotation is only for SSBN/SSGN. Fast boats do not rotate crews. I have been on both types and I will take a fast boat any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Boomers have their perks like a little more space and the whole crew swap thing, but they don't go anywhere. They poke holes in the water for 3 months and come home. Also, because of the 2 crew thing, there is really no ownership. Everything is a "Blue Crew problem" or a "Gold Crew problem." There's a lot of passing the buck. Also, in my humble opinion, that 3 months away from the boat is very detrimental to your operating proficiency. You get rusty pretty quick once you're away from the boat and not in an operational mindset.

"If you can't write it down, you don't understand it."
-ADM H.G. Rickover
scott.henry is offline   Reply With Quote