Thread: CTR Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by killashadow16 View Post
[LIST=1][*]what can I expect to expereince in Boot and A-school as an E-3 if there is any difference than an E-1?[*]How long would it be till I would be tested for E-4?[*]Due to not being married or having kids, I will most likely be looked at the have OUTCON assignment, correct?[*]What would changed if I got married? When would be the best time(s) to get married? (planning sometimes around or after A-school.)[*]When would be the best time to put in to Commission?[*]If I get commissioned, would I still have to stay in Intel?

Joshua
E1 or E3 it truly doesn't matter. E4 is where thing start to change for certain ratings. Let's say your a BM3 (Boatswain Mate), as a E4 you have a lot of power and respect. However, lets say you're a ET (Electronic Tech) then you have nothing, you are just a puke like the E1-E3's. For ET things change at the E5 level.

Without a waiver, you cannot bring your family with you overseas as a E3. Waivers are normally approved, but they don't have to be. Read the Policy here: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-np...s/1300-302.pdf

Frankly you need to think about studying instead of getting married. Depending on your spouse background, they could pull your security clearance. You just can't be granted a SBI security clearance without a check.

Per commissioning. This is the 2010's. It's not like the old days where you got a college degree that they would earn a commissioning. Today, unless you have a strong background in Science or Math, then its really hard to get. The best thing is to apply for a program called "Seaman to Admiral" (STA-21). That's about the best way. You always have the opition of dropping your Navy contract and join the Army. They do allow direct commissioning.

With STA-21, you go where the Navy needs you. I had two sailor work for me that applied and got into STA-21. One remained in Intel, the other was put into Boat Driving school... So it varies a lot....

btw: CTR is an excellent rating. I'm a retired CT, and my whole family is CT's. I know how much CT's make on the outside. (they make a lot of $$$)

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote