Thread: MU-MUSICIAN ???
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
Thanks for the info! I play clarinet & saxophone. Hopefully I'll make it. Setting up an audition this week. I wonder how long the wait is for either of those? With the downsizing of the military it may take a while!
I have no idea about the demand for clarinet/saxophone, but I would be willing to bet your wait will be shorter than mine since there are twice as many of those instruments per band than flutes (there are only 1-2 flute positions per band).

About the downsizing: the Navy actually has a pretty good size music program with 9 CONUS bands, 2 international, and 2 preferentially staffed bands (it was the Air Force that just underwent major budget cuts to their music program). With the Navy's recent change in doubling requirements --you don't have to be able to play multiple instruments-- I think some high quality musicians are going to be making their way to audition (that is not to say musicianship isn't already high...).

I'm curious- do you have a Bachelor degree in music already? Because you will be vying with other musicians who have a Bachelors, some even Masters.

Good luck with the audition! Let me know if you have any questions about the audition day/process.
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote