View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #15
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerDP2 View Post
As one who served on active duty for five years as an enlisted man (the DP rating required one to commit to a one-year extension), I can honestly say that I would have never served as an enlisted man had I held a degree when I joined the Navy (I enlisted a month after I graduated from high school). The life of a commissioned officer is at least an order of magnitude better than that of an enlisted man or woman. The most junior officer lives better than the most senior enlisted man aboard ship. No enlisted rating prepares one to hold a true profession-level position after leaving the Navy. One is prepared to work as a paraprofessional at best (e.g., computer technician versus a true computer design engineer). Officers leave the Navy fully prepared to fill professional-level technical and leadership positions in the private sector.

With that said, giving the Navy several years of one's life in exchange for technical training can be a good deal for kids straight out of high school. It gives bright kids who are not quite ready to attend college time to mature. Enlisted service will teach them humility and the value of hard work.
I don't know how long ago you were in the Navy but I do know a lot of enlisted who get out of the Navy and get professional jobs. I know a lot of people who work at Spawar, Navsea, SWRMC. I had a bachelor's before I joined and finished my master's while I've been in. It is very common for enlisted to have bachelor's prior to joining nowadays. While a junior officer may get a state room. They sure as hell work way more than most enlisted, get yelled at way more than enlisted and deal with more crap then we have to deal with. If you are a hands on person it's not a bad thing to be enlisted. I would honestly hire a lot of enlisted over some of these junior officers. They may have gotten a commission but that doesn't make them good leaders or smart.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote