View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
FutureSailorMC

FutureSailorMC is on a distinguished road

I originally wanted to enlist as an IS or CTR but I was told those rates were currently unavailable. However, they offered me this rate since my ASVAB scores were pretty good. I was skeptical at first but after doing some research and learning more about from you guys, this seems like I rate I could really enjoy. I've was an English major in college and I had always wanted to go into communications. This just seems to fit perfectly. Plus, the A school for this rate is only 30mins from my home!

As this rate is still relatively new and there aren't many people to talk to that are currently enlisted in the rate, I do have a few questions. I am enlisting as an E-3 since I am practically finished with college, and I want to become an officer. I was told I could apply for the STA-21 or another program similar to it. However, with the current "advancement bubble" would I still be able to enter that program and would I be an officer in the MC rate or a public relations officer?

I know they train you in a number of different specialties in A school, but let's say I wanted to do something in public relations or broadcasting. Would that be something I would request, or would they just stick me where they needed me?