View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #96
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmin View Post
I've been trying to research but really haven't come up with clear answers.
Does everyone on helo's that are on the boats have to go through rss, or only people designated as rescue swimmers.

I don't feel like I will have a problem with NACCS but because of my size I don't know how well I will do with RSS. So I was wondering if anyone had seen smaller guys go through it without problems.

I'm not even sure if I will be going to it since I am still waiting to go to meps and my recruiter isn't giving me any info on when I will be able to go because of the male lock out.
Everyone on the H-60 platform (Be it AWR's on the MH-60R Seahawk or AWS's on the MH-60S Knighthawk) are also designated as an Aviation Rescue Swimmer and have to go through NACCS and RSS. AWS's on the MH-53E Sea Dragon are not Aviation Rescue Swimmers and only have to go through NACCS... these are the guys you'll hear referred to as AWS "Dry".

One of the AWR's in my A School class was pretty short... whenever anyone teased him about it, his reply was that he'd be the only guy without back problems in 6 years from having to hunch over in the back of the -60 all day. Yeah, you're going to have to do buddy-tow swims and they'll probably make you tow the biggest guy... but even if you're 5'1", it's not like you're fireman carrying someone 250lbs up a flight of stairs. You will need to make sure you're running and swimming endurance is very high though... don't expect to succeed if you're having to push yourself just to make the minimum PST scores.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote