View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
jamjme

jamjme is on a distinguished road

I think can explain the striking process a little more clearly since i have been a seaman now for about a year. Going in E-3, you will be eligible for the 3rd class exam 6 months from the time you go to RTC which would be the date you start your "time in rate" (rank). The issue with that lies in the fact that you have to get approved to take a certain test as a striker. You will meet with your command career counsellor and he/she will go over the rates you qualify for based on asvab score, clearance eligibility etc. This will be in something called FLEETRIDE. You will submit your top three choices of rates you qualify for at the end of the month. At the beginning of the next month, you will find out if you have been approved for the navy wide advancement exam for that rate or not. The situation that arose when i attempted this for the march exam, is that i was applying every month from december to march and kept getting denied for the rate i was putting in for (GM). This was due to the fact that i had not gotten a security clearance adjudication. The investigation was done, as it is for everyone joining the navy, but since i was a seaman and had no need for a clearance, i was never adjudicated one. The simple fix to that was just to speak to the security manager at my command and sign a few papers and as soon as i did that the very next month i got picked up for the advancement exam for that rate. So it is very possible to be a seaman for only 6-8 months. The alternative would be to pick up the rate without taking the test. To do that you have to be at your command for one year at which time you would have been up for two exams anyway. On the flip side however, you cant expect to just get to your command and start working for who you want to. As a seaman you will be working for Boatswains Mates which, to describe, would be a very, very long post so i will save that one for another time. Either way coming in undesignated has its moments where you hate your life but at the same time you get to sit back and take a look at the other rates before deciding on what you would like to do. Heck you may even love it and end up going BM, they have the most fun.
jamjme is offline   Reply With Quote