View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnosky View Post
I just passed my DLAB with a 128 and switched from a MC contract to CTI, which is what I originally wanted. Thank you for all of this info! I have one quick question, as someone who is new to all of this:

Can you elaborate on this? From my understanding, direct support means flying out to a ship or sub to do some work for a few weeks, then transferring to another ship or getting sent back home. I've also been warned that I could be sent out with a group of Marines as an interpreter, based on my language.

How do out-of-office missions work? Is that what you refer to as "billets?" Do you sign up for particular missions or DIRSUP activity on an individual basis? I'm just trying to piece it all together.

Again, thank you!
jbarnosky;

You're pretty much spot on with what DIRSUP (Direct Support) entails. You would be stationed at a shore site but you would go to sea (or go fly) based on mission requirements of the fleet. Typically they would just have you on station during the times you would actually be needed and then send you back home once your part of the mission is done.

As far as what a billet is, that's basically what you're referring to when you say "orders". When you receive orders you going there to fill a billet. Think of a billet like a position within that group. For example if a ship needed an IT1, there would be a billet made there that an IT1 could come fill.

To go DIRSUP would you need to get orders to a specific shop that does DIRSUP work. For ships and subs I'm not sure if CTIs need extra schools or not, but for everyone that wants to go Aircrew they have to attend Aircrew school in Pensacola as well as SERE. Once you finish A-school this is all stuff you would talk to your schoolhouse and the detailer about.

And about you going out with Marines? I think you have some bad information from someone. The Marines have their own linguists. Although if you do want to go boots on ground, there are CTI specific opportunities to do that through the TIO (Spec Ops/NSW) program. But worry about that after you get through A-school and everything haha NSW (Naval Special Warfare) usually only takes guys with some experience under their belts.

Hopefully that clears some things up! Let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully we can be welcoming you into our spooky brotherhood soon!

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote