View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Jnewman16

Jnewman16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
Nukes get a bad rap for overthinking things. They call it "Nuking" it in bootcamp, but once you leave RTC as a nuke, we never use that term. We tend to use "50/50/90" as an expression more (given a 50/50 question a nuke will pick the wrong answer 90% of the time) because sometimes we do overthink things and think ourselves out of the "right" answer. Boot camp is a very simple place, so nukes get picked on a bit for being too smart for our own good, but at the end of the day, they know we're the top 10% of the Navy ASVAB/smarts wise and without us a sub doesn't move and the carriers wouldn't get there so its all in good humor really. Don't take it personal. I love being a navy nuke. The main reason people don't like nukes in the navy (those that actually don't like us) it's because we make rate so fast as compared to them. Its a jealousy thing I guess. Most rates average 14-16 years to make chief; nukes average around 7-8 years to chief; most nukes are a first class before their first enlistment is even over.
My brother made his first class last november.. and this month is his 6 yr mark.. they advance pretty rapidly ..
Jnewman16 is offline   Reply With Quote