View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
KaLinux

KaLinux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
ET's don't touch IT gear. If you can get IT go for it.

I'd say consider CTM but I don't believe the SELRES has any. Since you have a pretty unique situation, have you shopped around the other services? The Navy (as much as I love it) isn't the only game in town when it comes to cyber operations or IT stuff. It would feel weird as hell putting on a different uniform, but it depends how far you're willing to go to get what you're after.

I've also mentioned this to a few other guys, but you don't need the military to teach you information security. CEH, CISSP, CCNA (with/without security), are all totally obtainable without the Navy's help and will get you a job doing it and making wads of cash in no time. If you still have veterans benefits then you might be able to get Uncle Sam to pay for some of those.

/r
CTT1

I would have to go back to Basic with any other service. Plus I strongly believe that Naval training is superior to the other branches lol. I'm just taking my quickest chance of getting back into the Navy because I'm hurting financially out here. I've already waited two years for CTN3 to open up but due to so many E-3's converting over and getting E-4 out of A school, I can't convert over. Plus, there aren't any PRISE-R reservations open for me to convert to damn near anything. I'm a direct convert to ET, so I don't have to go to school. February, I'll be taking the exam with a possible 49% chance of making Second Class. Hopefully I make it first time up.

As far as certifications go, I'll have my CCNA R/S and CCNA Sec by February as it is in my degree plan. I will eventually want the CISSP but not without the experience. Same thing with the CEH. Hell, I wanted CTN because it would help me to build the experience required to take the CISSP lol. Before I take the CEH, I want to learn the nitty-gritty of the Windows OS. I know I could pass the CEH right now but there isn't any rush.

No matter what, as soon as I make E-5 and accrued the two or three years of TIR, I'll cross rate to CTN. Also, the only reason I thought that ETs possibly worked with IT systems is because some of the NECs for IT are available to ETs. Most of those NECs say that ETs have to be sub qual'd except for 1654 and 1678. Outside of those, I don't see a NOSC letting me get NECs that deal with me going on a ship when there aren't any ships for me to get stationed on. At least I don't think there are.
KaLinux is offline   Reply With Quote