View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLinux View Post
There's no way around it. My recruiter has said that CTN3 is still closed for conversion and my best bet would be to take ET3. Does anyone know much about the ET rating? Any reserve duty stations out there for this rate? I'm hoping I can get an NEC that deals with IT related systems. Feeling kinda morbid...
ET's don't touch IT gear. If you can get IT go for it.

ET's are split between comms and radar gear (although they probably will work on both at some point if you're AD or mobilized). So for example, IT's use the radio gear, but all those transmitters, antennas, etc, all belong to the ET's. They maintain it and troubleshoot it; the IT's just get to push some buttons.

Radar gear that doesn't include anything FC related also goes to the ET's. So your search radars, navigation, air search, stuff like that. Anything that has to do with Fire Control (tracking stuff and proceeding to blow it up) falls to the FC's.

I'd say consider CTM but I don't believe the SELRES has any. Since you have a pretty unique situation, have you shopped around the other services? The Navy (as much as I love it) isn't the only game in town when it comes to cyber operations or IT stuff. It would feel weird as hell putting on a different uniform, but it depends how far you're willing to go to get what you're after.

I've also mentioned this to a few other guys, but you don't need the military to teach you information security. CEH, CISSP, CCNA (with/without security), are all totally obtainable without the Navy's help and will get you a job doing it and making wads of cash in no time. If you still have veterans benefits then you might be able to get Uncle Sam to pay for some of those.

/r
CTT1

Last edited by FlyNavy; 10-19-2015 at 05:13 PM.
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote