Thread: New CTM aboard!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #16
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpootyPuff View Post
Thanks CTT1 !

Sorry to keep buggin ya but if I could ask a few more Q's:
As a CTM, would you know what type of ship I would most likely be going to? (is this just up in the air or are CTM's more likely to be sent to a specific ship)

Also, just reading other forums and other Q&A sites I've come across people that have said to "avoid NIOC MD or Norfolk" and "Hawaii is where CTM's come to die/Hawaii is the blackhole"

I know to take things with a grain of salt and maybe they've had bad experiences there but are you able to shed some light as to why they would say those things?

EDIT: can CTM's be assigned to a sub as well?
I would be curious to hear someone explain how Hawaii is shitty duty haha You can do your rotation and go somewhere different just like anyone else if you don't like it there. NIOC MD is fine; it's the "mothership" of the CT world, so you can get pretty deep into some cool stuff there. Norfolk though, nobody is really a fan of Norfolk haha But again, you do your time and when you re-enlist you can pick where you wanna go.

Subs: So CT's don't get directly assigned to subs like you would if you were part of the crew (what we call Ships Company). CTs go under the waves as part of what we call "Direct Support" aka DIRSUP. As a DIRSUP guy, you basically get sent to the boat when they need you for your part of the mission. It's great because you get to go to all kinds of different boats, but kind of shitty sometimes because you're not part of the crew and sometimes they'll give you a hard time for being a "rider" (someone who's there but isn't a full time crew member).

CTMs have various NECs that get them onboard subs as technicians for the spooky gear. So yes, in short it's totally doable to do subs as a CTM. Submarine duty is volunteer only, so if that's your plan then make it known immediately at A-school that's where you wanna go and hopefully they can track down a spot for you.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote