Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
warehimer33

warehimer33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy2010 View Post
It depends.

Do you have your degree already?

If so, you would apply directly to OCS.

If not, you would apply to the STA-21 program, or BDCP/NUPOC (http://www.navy.com/joining/educatio...rgraduate.html) to complete your degree prior to attending OCS.

You could also become a LDO or CWO.

Maybe it's different in the nuke community, but from what I've seen your recruiter is being very generous with that percentage.
Direct Commission applicants (those with degrees) have been recently picked up at a rate of anywhere between 1-30 percent depending on the community.
I don't know the percentage for the other programs, but it's not uncommon for people to have to apply more than once before being selected.

Best thing you can do is get the best Evals you can, and get recommendations from your chain of command.
Thanks, gup. I read up on the STA-21 Program and apparently anybody in the nuclear power pipeline can apply for an officer position but I couldn't find anything on how they train an enlisted nuke to become commissioned. I'll just have to keep searching; I was just testing the waters here to see if anybody had any insight on my question.

"All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk." --Ronald Reagan
warehimer33 is offline   Reply With Quote