View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation
Default What happens at bootcamp - Day-per-Day? (Up to week #6)

I am opening this thread to help our fellow deppers get ready for boot camp. This is just a normal routine day at boot camp......

-------------------------------
Night Before: Get sleep at least 1 night or more before ship date. It is essential! This is important!!
MEPS & Airport

- MEPS processing, as usual, hurry up and wait. Urinalysis, instructions on where/when you will be flying to Great Lakes, IL. Around noon you might be lucky to be leaving for the airport after taking 2nd oath (if active duty only). Family is allowed at MEPS and Airport if they ask for the military gate pass from the airline ticket counter. I really suggest you spend these last few moments with your family or BF/GF. The people you meet going to Great Lakes will mean nothing since you will probably all get different divisions anyways. So don't think you're "bonding", you're not. Your family is the ones who will be there to support you with letters while in boot camp. Just my suggestion...

- You get to O’Hare Airport, get luggage, eat and you have until 22:30 to go to the luggage area or Terminal 2 where the yelling begins (and you thought your mom bitched a lot)! ~ha

- Petty Officers get you in formation, listen, and follow their directions. They look through items you brought and if they don't like it they throw it away right then and there, or donate it.

- You get on the RTC bus which is your last time to talk and ask questions to the Sailor that's accompanying you.
AT RTC, YOUR NAVY DAY BEGINS

In-processing Day (P-days)
- "P-days" - are at least 5 working days long. It can be longer if there are not enough recruits to form a division.

- "P-hold" - If you're on P-hold it is because you will be waiting for more people to arrive so you have a full division. "P-day" and "P-Hold" do not count as being in boot camp". These days do not count towards your 8 weeks of training. These are just "dead days". Once you have a full division you will start your P-days.

The next 4-5 days after receipt day are known as Processing Days (P-Days). Medical and dental indoc gets done here to make sure you are able to train properly and efficiently. Haircuts are issued and pictures for the ID cards are taken. Most of these P-Days we ended up waking up at 0400 and tapped out at 2000. These are probably the most boring and horrible days of boot camp. You are not allowed to physically train yourself by doing push-ups or sit-ups (PT), and by the end of P-Days I definitely noticed a change to my pectoral strength. You were right Craig, I thought my mom bitch a lot, she was nothing compared to these guys ~ha, it was just a whole bunch of yelling throughout the day and minor lectures along with all of the regular P-Day things was just about it for a week. We also by now should have been learning our chain of command.

The chain of command is vital to know in all cases where conflicts may interfere. You must never jump up the chain of command but if all else fails, the next person up the ladder might be able to help.

At the end of P-Days we did end up moving to our permanent (well...rest of RTC) home: Ship 12, the USS Triton. Every night after the first night consisted of constant talking and lost sleep. Well that was my case anyway. We started day 1-1 of training on the following Tuesday.

I forgot to mention the "Moment of Truth" and the PQS Written Test.

If you read in the DEP guide, you will know that the Moment of Truth is where you can disclose any information that you have hidden. Some people may pretend to be bipolar or anything because they do not like the first couple days. Just stick it out.

If you have done the DEP PQS, you can get advanced from Boot camp if you pass this multiple choice test with 80% or above and passing everything on the Baseline PFA. A lot of questions are common sense, but don't think that if you are really physically fit that you can just get E-2 like that. You must pass both.

P-1 DAY:
- You walk inside, get in a line one on each side of the bulkheads (walls).

- You get to boot camp you will be given a phone call home to let somebody know you are safe. This is an extremely short phone call (about 30 seconds). Bring a couple of phone number for somebody you know will answer the phone. If you have a cell phone, bring it, it's a lot faster. Heck you can text, if you like. That way if your family or friends don't answer, you can still say something or just leave a voice mail. Having a cell phone usually allows you to talk longer (like 30 seconds)...

- You will then go into "initial issue". Here they will issue your "Ditty Bag". A ditty bag is kind of like a duffle bag, it's just a cloth bag that holds all of your small stuff. They will issue the basic hygiene items and clothing, things that you need to survive.

- Your personal items will be inspected. Most items are not allowed in boot camp, except for important paper work (ie copies of SSN, Marriage certificate, Education records...etc).

- You will change into your Smurf's (New clothing). All of your civilian clothes will either donated, sent home, or thrown away. If you decide that you want to keep that old shirt and jeans, then these items will be sent home. You will place them in a cardboard box, which everyone calls "The Box", and everything is mailed home. In this box will also be items that you are not allowed to have in boot camp, like unneeded paper work, cell phone, ...etc . Everything that will be useless for the next 8 weeks. Remember, you pay for how heavy "The Box" is. Do you really want to keep that old shirt and jeans?

REMEMBER: Tell your parent or whomever about "the box" and the "15 second phone call", PRIOR to you leaving for boot camp. It totally freaks them out because they will get "the box" and with no note or letter. My recommendation is if you do plan on sending something home, don't forget to write a short note to your parents or loved one while you're on the plane. Slip it in your pocket so they have a short note that you're going to be okay and that you appreciate them. Believe me, "the box" is searched for such notes or at least clues as to the final minutes before you seal it up.

Remember also, if you take a Bible, you can write all your addresses in the back and skip bringing an address book.

Lastly, tell your parents if your pants legs are rolled up when they get the box, it's because you didn't have time to roll them down after getting measured for boots. My mom thought for sure that I had been in trouble for wearing baggy jeans. One final thing, make sure your boots fit. We've heard of Recruits suffering the entire time because they didn't want to speak up. Not good!

- You will then have to provide a urine sample for drug testing. If you can't provide a sample, you will stay there until you do. They will keep you awake by having you walk in circles and drink from the skuttlebutt (water fountains). There is no getting out of the urinalysis, you will stay there until you complete the urinalysis. So do it as soon as you can.

- Listen to the Chief's and Petty Officer's (know the difference between them).

- Walk in a military manner, do not talk! Walking in a military manner means you not goofing off, talking, or joking around. You are focused. Remember 1st impressions are lasting. If you want to be micro-managed in boot camp, this is a great opportunity to make yourself known by talking and goofing around.

- They take height and weight.

- They take your picture for your I.D. card, try to not look like a zombie, you keep this for 4 years!!!

- They will ask for those that have any experience (or interest) in drill, musical instruments, or singing. If you do, then you will put you in a special division called the "900 Division". The 900 division recruits will do everything the other recruits do, in addition, they also practice to put on shows at events such as parades, and recruit graduation ceremonies. I always recommend that you don't say you know anything because it doesn't give any more benefits, it actually makes your time in boot camp harder.

- They will also form a special division, called "800 division". All 800 divisions contain Navy SPECOPS which include SEAL's, Navy Divers, EOD & Special Boat Operators. They have different physical requirement in boot camp.

- For the others, they will randomly form a division with up to 87 other recruits.

SLEEP:
You will be taken to a temporary in-processing barracks called a "ship" where you will meet your RDC's and start the inprocessing Days (P-Days). This ship is where you will sleep. In your compartment, which is a large open area which has ~80 racks (beds) lined up. Choose your rack (bed) and 1st bunk-mate. The reason they call the barracks a "ship" is because every barracks at RTC is named for an actual ship. The processing barracks ship (aka ship) is called the USS Pearl Harbor.

- Grab ditty bag, with your notebook in hand and hang ditty bag on rack.

P-2 Day:
- Up at 0000 (Midnight) Grab notebook and walk out. This is the hardest time to stay awake.

- Once your RDC's receive the division they will start to get you ready for the day. First thing you will do is shave (for males).

- After that you will receive a green guard belt with a canteen. You will be instructed on the proper wear of your guard belt and the importance of proper hydration. You will be required to drink 8 to 12 canteens of water a day.

- Keep hydrated and keep up your posture. Keep your hands away from face.

- Around 0500-0530 they will take you to the galley (where you eat) for breakfast. It's buffet style. NO TALKING IN THE GALLEY!!

- After breakfast you will get your haircut. Haircuts are for both male and females (It's a crappy job even for males), Females should get there haircut before they get to RTC.

- You will then go to Moment of Truth. This is where the Navy will ask you if you ever lied or not spoken the truth about joining up. Everyone gets nervous. Don't freak out. A lot of sailors that are not prepared have problems with this because they have lied all the way to this point. If you have to stand up at the moment of truth, then something is majorly wrong, all these problems should have been voiced prior to this. One thing for sure, at the moment of truth, if you stand up, you'll will be going home. DON'T STAND UP!....

- Secondly, if anyone ask if you are homesick, or have you ever been depressed, or sad"? You say NO!.... We all know the true answer is yes, haven't we all been depressed or sad at one time in our lives? However, if you say yes, and you go see a counselor, you're coming home. You will be kicked out. Try and suck it up. If you truly need help talk to the Chaplin/CARE person, if needed. Try not to even do that, because you will be labeled. The Navy is all about seeing if you can handle stress. In a war zone they can't have someone that needs to see a counselor or Chaplin all the time. It's wasting their time. But let’s say there is a death, then by all means, see the Chaplin only!

Remember being a member on NavyDEP.com, you are one of the few that will know what is about to happen. We love "spilling the beans" here at NavyDEP, it makes life so much easier at boot camp...

- Nukes, EOD, Aircrew, etc are set aside. Nukes go to a Nuke briefing for further criminal record information as well as the CT's and IS's, etc. You may have To-Go lunch in rating office (11:00 - 12:00).

- After that it's back to the galley for lunch.

- Write down Chain-of-Command (it helps if you know it BEFORE!). Study it, learn it, and study the 11 general orders, rank and recognition.

- Go back to temporary ship and get ready to stamp Last Name, Last four of SSN, and Division number on items as well as initial with permanent marker in Recruit Handwriting!

- 17:00 - 18:00 Dinner, Return to ship, hygiene for 8 minutes but that's too long so more like 5 to shower and have pt shorts and shirt, socks and shoes on and at attention in front of rack. Get ready for bed.

- Sleep from 20:00 - 05:30 (which is lucky).

P-3 DAY:
- This is an early morning. You wake up at 4 am.

- The first thing you will do is go to medical (USS Red Rover) to get your blood drawn. While you are there you will have a bag breakfast.

- Your first marching, but 3 abreast, no front or division body.

- You will then go to the Navy Exchange (NEX) to buy items (females will buy their lady items)

- Items bought in the NEX will be stored in locker compartments.

- More stamping and initialing of uniforms.

- You will go to lunch in the galley.

- After lunch you will get your TB shot. Remember, always hydrate (8 to 12 canteens).

- Then you will go to uniform issue. Here you will receive your NWU's (Navy Working Uniform).

- Dinner, clean the deck in compartment, training, hygiene, Tattoo (lights out) and Taps. You will most likely start Roving and Night watch.
P-4 DAY:
- This is another early morning. You will go to breakfast at 06:00. Then go back to Red Rover. Here you will go through medical and dental screening. You will eat a bag lunch there. Then back to Red Rover for more vaccine shots and more dental screening.

- Finally, medical will clears you for Fit for Full Duty (FFD). This means you are medically cleared to train. This also means you can Intensive Training Exercises (ITE). You will get done with medical around 3pm.

- You will learn Marching again.

- You will then go to a brief for Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and to sign up for a bank account (if you don't have one).

- Then its dinner and training time.

- After dinner you will learned how to fold and stow your uniforms and gear

P-5 Day:
- Early morning again

- Today is the last day of in processing. You will have to go to a class about UCMJ (Uniformed Code of Military Justice).

- If you have a job that requires a special physical you will go to medical to start that. If you have a low verbal comprehension score on your ASVAB you will screen for F.A.S.T. This is a program to help you understand English, it is a very helpful program.
- Lunch can be between 10:30 - 13:00

- After lunch you will clean the barracks you’re staying in and get ready to move to your new ship (barracks). This is about a 2 mile walk with a sea bag on your back. When you get there you will get situated and eat dinner.

- The rest of the day is getting everything done before you start training.

- Lectures on various procedures, trainee guides, salutations, etc.

- Dinner can be between 17:00 - 19:00

- Laundry Handouts (passing out clean laundry) which is a night routine

- Tomorrow starts your actual boot camp.
First Sunday
- No holiday routine, No Shaving for Females
- Males must shave every morning
- Go to Chapel and get a religious brief, go to NEX for more supplies, or socks (Editors note: God knows you'll need more socks)
Week 1:
Week 1 was very boring....just like the last week. Only this time if we screwed up, we would be issued some intensive, or sometimes known as instructional, training (IT). IT consists of various exercises that are horrible for the human body. Though some are good like the sit-ups and push-ups, others are bad for the knees. WE always started off on that black line with my favorite (actually most hated) exercise, 4-count jumping jacks! An RDC's IT card would consist of:
Jumping Jacks (usually 40-50 reps)
Leg Lifts, Left Side (again, 40-50)
8-Count Body Builders (25-30)
4-Count Mountain Climbers (20-30)
4-Count Sit-ups (20-30)
Leg Lifts, Right Side (40-50)
Down...............................Up Push-ups (25 or so)

I changed my mind. Mountain Climbers and the very long down up push-ups are my least favorite 2. With this push-up they will not say up for a good 15 seconds and that gets very tiring.
Sometimes IT sessions also had Squats and Arm Circles thrown into the mix.
Moving on....the whole week was practice for the second week's test and inspections. We had bunk and locker drills every day. We had to fold and stow our gear perfectly and make our bunks with precision and care...all under a horrible time limit, but it wasn't that bad on the actual inspections.

The first test's study materials were for uniforms and grooming, rate and rank recognition, Navy ships and aircraft, and first aid. I was made the Educational Petty Officer (EPO) for the division, so I was in charge of making everyone pass and helping those that didn't study a little harder. At the end of the week was our Baseline Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA). It wasn't counted against us if we failed. They just basically wanted to know where we were at and if we could perform the tasks required for the regular Navy Physical Readiness Tests (PRT's). My age and gender group consisted of a minimum of 46 push-ups, 54 sit-ups and a 12:15 mile and a half run. I passed my run and sit-ups but failed my push-ups by 2. Two weeks without PTing hurt a bit and my rust showed. But I won't beat a dead horse. In a nutshell the first training week was folding clothes, making bunks, introduction to military drill (marching), a little PT, studying, cleaning, and that Baseline PFA.
1-1 Day:
- Get blood drawn for special jobs (Nuke, Aircrew, EOD, Divers...etc). More tubes of blood, more tests.

- Asked for allergies and if we are FFD (Fit For Duty).

- DEP advancement test is taken today. If you are E-1 or E-2 and want to advance, you need to pass the PQS at your recruiter station AND this test. The test is 30 questions, multiple choices, and you cannot get more than 5 wrong to pass. It tests naval history, Rank and Recognition, Chain-of-Command, 11 General orders, etc... STUDY!!!

- You will send a letter home with your address.

- You will go to recruit receipts. Here you will take care of the rest of your service record. You will do your DDS (Direct Deposit), SGLI (Life Insurance) and receive your military ID.

- Today you will also go to PT. This will be where you learn what exercises you will do during PT (Physical Training).

1-2 Day:
- Blood Pressure check
- Another urine test for special forces, Nukes, Aircrew, EOD, Divers, etc.
- Eye exam, measure for glasses
- Females will go to wellness center for birth control.
- You have a To-go Lunch
1-3 Day:
- Dental check up
- X-rays
- Shots (about 4 of them), plus the Peanut Butter shot (It's not bad, Relax!). Then same routine
1-4 Day:
- More stamping
- Lectures on Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) from training guide.
- Keep studying from training guide.
1-5 Day:
- First workout, pre-physical fitness test. See how many you can do.
- The air is dry, but keep running, keep pushing, Do not stop! Puke, if you want and keep going.
- Don't stop your heart rate, raise it up. You'll feel good afterwards.
Second Sunday:
- Holiday routine 07:00 - 13:00
- 13:00 - 14:00 Field day (Clean compartment)
- Dinner
- Lectures
Week 2:
I thought this week was so important...and then I realized that RDC's live up everything as if it were working on a million dollar piece of equipment. This week had 3 inspections and the academic test that I stated before.

The first two inspections were on the same day and one after the other. They called this the CART PI/DMI. CART is phase 1 of boot camp. I am not sure of exactly what it means, though I do know the other two. PI stands for personnel inspection, while DMI stands for dynamic material inspection. The PI is where they have you do a few commands that they will pass down to the Recruit Chief Petty Officer (RCPO though said as RPOC). A couple of the commands were to:

1 pace forward march
hand salute
cover
uncover
attention
parade rest

Not very hard at all. Well the inspector goes around and checks every single person for uniform infractions. A couple of the infractions, or hits, you could take on your uniform are:

gig line not even (shirt to belt to pants line)
gear adrift (loose threads)
dirty boots
dirty uniform
metal to metal on belt not even
bootlaces not tight enough
belt not through all of the loops
all buttons not buttoned

The inspector would also ask a question about the 11 general orders, chain of command, or rate and rank recognition, and you had to answer it in the correct manner while keeping proper military posture and bearing. Some other hits the inspector could give are:

military posture
military bearing
incorrect or no answer to a question

I actually remember getting my first PI question wrong because I was so nervous and forgot that a perched eagle was part of what a second class petty officer wears on the sleeve of his or her dress blue uniform. Anyway, before we knew it, the PI was over and we did pretty well on it.

Next was the DMI. One side had bunk making, the other with lockers. I was very pleased to have the locker inspection because I hated making a bunk. We had to take out a shirt, trousers, and jacket and unbutton and unzipper everything on them and then re-button and zipper and fold and stow them properly. I took one hit on my jacket's zipper pointing up when I refolded it. Zipper must be down on many things in boot camp. A majority of the bunk making side failed while we did great. To end this day, we were warned of bunk drills ahead because the one side did terrible on it.

Two days later was our zone inspection. This is where FQA inspects every area of the compartment, including the RDC office. We had multiple problems with that office, and I think one of them was dust. Now a petty officer would inspect every top bunk's locker and every bottom bunk's bunk. Since I was a bottom bunk, you would probably think I would fail right? No sir; we were able to make the compartment look good and dress our bunks and lockers accordingly. I had help from a shipmate and my bunk looked really good. After about 2-3 hours of the inspection, we came out with almost the whole division failing. I am glad to say that I was one hit away from failing because the petty officer was going really in depth and was looking for everything that he could find.

Well..another taps and we were ready for our first test! Time to show off my awesome EPO skills, hoo-yah! Well it turns out that I didn't know that our utilities could be regular machine-washed. Our laundry PO's never washed them in our compartment, but that was simply because there was too much clothing to be washed. I made a 4.9 (49/50 correct) on that test, so it wasn't bad at all. We had 2 people fail, and both that I tutored ended up passing the second time around. We got our first achievement flag to march with: the Academic Flag. That was our very stressful second week of training, and now we were off to MCA Phase (Mid Cycle Assessment).
2-1 Day:
- Personal inspection, DMI,
- uniform and grooming class.
- Special physical for Nukes, Aircrew, etc only
2-2 Day:
- Study time, study groups
- Start to practice watch with a 8mm Kimar pistol
- Training for WTI inspection (Weapons Turnover Inspection)
2-3 Day:
- Test one on:
~~First Aid
~~ Enlisted Rate/Rank recognition
~~ Uniform and Grooming
~~ US Navy Ships and Aircraft
2-4 Day:
- 2nd issue of uniforms, if you have any IOU's from the 1st issue you get them here.
2-5 Day:
- Dental work, many get wisdom teeth pulled and are SIQ (Sick in Quarters) for 2 days

Note from the admins at NavyDEP:
When visiting Great Lakes, please support Sarge's Taxi Service
Sarge is the only taxi that gives back to our sailors and their families. He also hosts the PIR (boot camp graduation) Meet & Greet where
families celebrate the night before your sailor graduates.
I can't say enough about Sarge. You will totally love this guy. Guaranteed!!!

Week 3:
There isn't much to be said about Week 3. Just the usual PT, folding clothes, and preparing for two key inspections coming up in week 4. This whole week was spent practicing Weapons Turnover and Drill and one event called Marlinespike. We would practice with a 9mm pistol that had the firing pin removed and would have to go over the proper procedures for turning it over to the oncoming watch stander.

That brings me to a little introduction to watch standing. There is at least one watch for the compartment 24/7 unless it is secured because of inspections or specific instructions. Watches in our compartment are usually 2 hours long, but in the fleet they can go up to 12 or maybe even more! The watch stander is responsible for the safety and integrity of his or her shipmates. Everything important done in the compartment, whether it was go for a roving tour around the compartment, logging it off spot (messy or not right) due to instruction or training, or even checking temperature) had to be written in the log. Official logs can be used in Captain's Mast cases where disobedient sailors are punished for being ignorant or reckless. An improper watch stand can even result in punishment because it is that person who is supposed to make sure everything is in order. That's about all I will delve into on watch standing.

Now that all of that watch standing is out of the way, our next task was practicing for our first drill inspection. They would play a tape and we would have to execute all of the commands swiftly and efficiently. This tape was basically what is on the graduation schedule so it truly is very important to understand it sooner than later.

The final task of the week was Marlinespike. This is basically preparation for getting the ship underway and mooring it to the pier. In civilian terms it is untying the lines from the ship so it can go out to sea and tying it back up to the pier. There was even a short exercise of a man overboard drill in which I was the lucky one to be the man overboard (I got to hide in the back of the ship). Our division had listening problems all around so we didn't do exceptionally well, but at least it was done with. By this time everything is getting very repetitive with only a couple events each week that are different. Pretty easy stuff...

3-1 Day:
- Haircuts again. Males get shaven (Navy Style), and females whose hair falls below the bottom edge of the collar get another haircut. You pay for it, so it's you. I'd say females cut it short before coming!
3-2 Day:
- Classifications - Ratings if you are Nuke or AECF or do not have a specific rating only. You will list the order of what you rating you want etc. You should find out the following week what the Navy decideds to give you. (Note: this is only for people in Nuke, AECF, or do not have a rating when coming in).
3-3 Day:
- Study Time
- Weapons computer based training. You complete the course and print out the certificate. You must score 100%.
3-4 Day:
- Seamanship Basic Skills class
3-5 Day:
- Marlinspike. You get to practice the seamanship skills learned the day before. Important to know all roles because they will come in handy for Battle Stations.

Week 4:
This is probably the second-most eventful week in boot camp. The second training day of this week is spent at a firing range. Don't expect to shoot real bullets yet though. This day is an introduction to the 9 millimeter pistol (watch turnover weapon) and the shotgun and their components. You will then fire electronic weapons and will probably do very bad at it because I don't believe any kind of laser to screen targeting is too accurate. This introduction course is known as Small Arms Marksmanship Training (SAMT).

The next training day after SAMT is the real stuff. Time to prove what you are made of with a little pistol. It's.....LIVEFIRE! With distances ranging from 3-15 yards and hand positions to keep it switched up, you have at maximum 4 rounds (which is a lot) to earn your second ribbon. Your first ribbon is the National Defense Service Ribbon (well...medal and ribbon). You may only earn a medal in pistol shooting if you achieve an Expert rating. You will also hear something at the beginning of the week called "Breaking Blue." This instance is when you are doing something with the gun that you aren't supposed to be doing, ie. pointing the gun other than at the target. I was afraid the whole week that I was going to get sent back a week in training for this infraction, but in reality, the instructors seemed pretty lenient and unless you actually point the gun at their face, you are going to be fine. You will most likely make it out with your second ribbon, whether its Marksman, Sharpshooter (S), or Expert (E).

The second to last major event of this week is the Drill Inspection. With more than 2 weeks to practice for this event, the inspection should go pretty smoothly. You march down to the Pacific Fleet Drill Hall which is pretty far from any of the barracks and then you execute all of the commands from the videotape inside the drill hall. You are inspected even on the way there, but the division is not inspected on the way back.

Our last event of week 4 is the second academic test which is over Marlinespike terms, U.S. Naval History, gun components, and a few other things. All of these events sum up what I thought was the most stressful week in boot camp.

Week 4 is also known a "hell week". This is where everything the recruits has learned to date is tested. Several things happen. They wake up the recruits at 3:30am to get them ready for the day's activities. They bring in RDC's from other divisions and they compare their division to your division. They see how well you learned. Most RDC don't like to admit that your division is better so they find the simplest of faults to penalize you. These penalty points are called "Hits" in the Navy. Don't confuse a "hit" as someone is beating you. It's just a figure of speech. NO ONE CAN PHYSICALLY HIT (strike) YOU. You might have a small string hanging out of your pocket...hit (-1 point) You might not have your "gig line" straight...hit (now -2 points).

By getting so many hits, the recruits RDC's are ticked. You'll get Physical Trained (PT) and Intensive Trained (IT). You will get reinspected too. You will be standing at attention and parade rest for a long time waiting for your turn to be inspected. Don't think this is punishment, think of it as teaching the recruits. You will learn to stand for long periods by keeping your knees unlocked! ALWAYS KEEP YOUR KNEE'S UNLOCKED!!!! What these RDC's don't want is during the PIR for the sailors to faint in front of the crowd. It's bad press. (that's where the jobs of the "bodysnatcher" come into play). Those that are really taking hits (penalty points) during the inspection could be rolled back (set back) into another division to relearn what they have already been taught. They all must meet the same standards because they are a team! If one team member is not performing, they move them to another division (a week or two behind them) so they can learn it again.

A lot of people think "Hell Week" is a untouched term used only for the SEAL/BUDS training. However, people fail to realize that "Hell Week" originated long before the SEALS ever came about. In fact, the term was used since the 1800's. I do think the SEAL/BUDS guys are very fond of the word and added to their own vocabulary just like college students, police officers, etc.

4-1 Day:
- PFA for Olympic Flag, no more than 10-15 people can fail.
4-2 Day:
- SAMT Laser gun training
- Zone Inspection
4-3 Day:
- Live Fire 9mm and Shotgun. You need to score 180 or more to receive a ribbon/medal for uniform.
4-4 Day:
- Drill inspection for Drill Flag
- Photo's
- Photo's and Navy "yearbook" division in house compartment pictures
- Tailor #2 (individual Dress uniforms
4-5 Day:
- Thrift Savings Plan class
- Test #2
- Go to NEX for shampoo and conditioner
Week 5:
Week 5 is all learning about firefighting. Topics you will cover include:

Shipboard Damage Control
How to Read Bullseyes (locations of compartments and fittings)
Classes of Fires
Equipment for fighting Fires
Survival Equipment
Confidence Chamber (fun, fun)
Fighting a Simulated Fire

Shipboard damage control consisted of a little bit of everything mentioned. You will learn what X-ray, yoke, and zebra fittings mean. A quick rundown is that out at sea, the ship is set to X-ray meaning that doors marked with an X are supposed to be closed at all times unless logged open in a place called Damage Control Central. There is an exception if there is a "Man Overboard" as you need to take the quickest route to where you muster. If a ship is set to Zebra, most likely the ship is about entirely on lockdown due to a hazardous reason or practice for that. You may hear of the term "Battle Stations", but it is called General Quarters on the ship. Someone will talk over the 1MC (speakerphone located all over the ship) and say that it is General Quarters and all hands are to man their battle stations.

It is an absolute necessity to learn how to read a bulls-eye. Here is a picture below and I will tell you what it all means:

The top line is a must know if you are to find your way around any ship.

The beginning number is what deck or level you are on. The quarterdeck will be on the main deck which is always 1. 1 is your starting point. If you go one ladderwell below this deck, you are on the 2nd deck. Going one ladderwell above the 1st deck and you will be on the O1 level. O is the letter and not a number.

The second number tells you the frame of the ship that you are at. By looking at the number 202, I can tell that most likely this is an aircraft carrier as they go up to 250 or so frames. If you were to read 10 or 20, you would be at the front of the ship.

The next number is also very important as you can tell which side of the ship you are on. Even numbers designate port side, while odd numbers designate starboard side. An easy way to remember this is (PESO) Port is Even, Starboard is Odd. As the numbers get bigger, the further you are from the middle of the ship. The zero in the pictures tells me that it is at the middle of the ship going from starboard to port.

The last letter is not as important as the 3 numbers before it. This letter simply designates the type of space it is. The L in the pictures stands for living space.

There are 4 types of fires aboard Navy ships: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta.

Alpha is the most common being ordinary combustibles, like paper.
Bravo is your liquids such as oil and fuel.
Charlie is the electrical equipment.
Delta is combustible metals such as if an aircraft is on fire.

You will learn how to locate and operate numerous types of survival equipment including EEBD's and SCBA's. It is vital that you pay attention when they tell you how to use them.

Near the end of the week you will have the "confidence chamber" which is a nice way of saying gas chamber. It was one of the worst feelings of my life. I recommend trying to sneak holding in your breath as breathing the gas in will make you gag and your eyes aren't really affected too much.

The last day will consist of fighting a couple of fake fires with your division. It's kind of fun, but it gets hot and sweaty so be prepared!
5-1 Day:
- Basic Damage Control
- Portable DC Pumps (evacuating water)
5-2 Day:
- EEBD/SEED
- OBA/SCBA

Note from Craig:
I don't normally add comments, but now we are getting into areas that you guys haven't a clue. So I will explain some of the acronyms when I think you guys won't understand.

EEBD = Emergency Escape Breathing Device
It provides the wearer with 15 minutes of breathable air. It is to be worn until you can get topside during evacuation from below deck spaces. The EEBD is designed to provide respiratory and eye protection in an atmosphere that will not support life. With the proper training you should be able to activate and don an EEBD in less than 30 seconds.
EEBDs are not to be used for firefighting purposes.
SEED = Supplemental Emergency Egress Device
Personnel working in engineering spaces wear supplemental emergency egress devices (SEEDs) on their belts for easy access. When a main space fire is called away, the watch stander should use the SEED to proceed to an EEBD. The watch stander should obtain an EEBD and don it when not in danger of immediate harm from heat or flames. Because the SEED lacks protection for the eyes and nose and has a short operational time, it is a supplemental device. However, it is immediately available for the engineering watch standers and is easily operated on the run.
OBA = Oxygen-Breathing Apparatuses
The oxygen breathing apparatus (OBA) is a self-contained device that generates oxygen through a chemical process and lets the wearer breathe independently of the surrounding atmosphere. Currently, the OBA is the primary tool used by firefighting teams. The effective time limit of the oxygen supply is in excess of 45 minutes. For personnel protection you should set the timer for 30 minutes, allowing 15 minutes to leave the area and return to fresh air.
SCBA = self-contained breathing apparatuses
SCBA are less bulky than OBA's and allows for greater ease of movement and has a cylinder of compressed air that Sailors carry on their back instead of the bulky OBA canisters which were carried on the Sailor's chest. The SCBAs also have a gauge with constant pressure so fire fighters know how much compressed air they have left. They have carbon fiber version of cylinders with either 30 or 45 minutes of compressed air.
In addition, SCBAs are much quicker and easier to refill. The SCBA's cylinders can be refilled with compressed air and then reused. In fact, the quick-fill adapter can hook straight up to a fill station, and without even taking the pack off, can be refilled. Since Sailors are now dealing with a compressed air cylinder on their back, they must be more cautious of movement.
Both OBA and SCBA are used to fight fires aboard ships
5-3 Day:
- Chemistry and Classes of Fires
- Portable + Fixed Extinguishing systems

Note from Craig:
I personally have had to fight only one major (and a few minor) fire's in the entire time I was in the Navy. The two things that totally make you butt shrink (and maybe even stink) up is if they call a Class "D" fire because then are so hard to fight, and, if they call General Quarter which means you are totally screwed, it's a MAJOR fire. These are the words you'll hear over the 1MC (ships announcement speaker) that just makes you fear everything:
When you hear over the 1MC "lube oil leak, lube oil leak, we have a lube oil leak in compartment blah, blah blah"....To be shortly followed by "ding, ding ding, ding ,ding, Fire! Fire! Fire!, we have a fire in compartment blah, blah, blah"...Next followed by "General Quarters, General Quarters, This is Not a drill, repeat this is NOT a drill...."
Here is how most sailors learn the fire meanings:
Saying:
- A = Ash
- B = Boil
- C = Circuit
- D = Deadly
Class A extinguishers are for ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard, and most plastics. Usually leave White Smoke.
Class B fires involve flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. Usually leaves Black Smoke.
Class C fires involve electrical equipment, such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Never use water to extinguish class C fires - the risk of electrical shock is far too great!
Class D fire extinguishers are commonly found in a chemical laboratory. They are for fires that involve combustible metals, such as magnesium, titanium, potassium and sodium. However, in the galley a Deep Fat Fryers fires would be a fire since you need to use special precautions. Class D fires are special and usually more deadly than the others. D=Death
5-4 Day:
- CBR (Chemical, Biological, and Radiological)
5-5 Day:
- General Fire Fighting + Fire Party Organizations
Week 6:
This will be the last full week that I will write. It is getting so busy here and since I'm not allowed to talk about any of the events that occur at Battle Stations 21 to anyone that hasn't undertaken it yet, I will stop here. Yes, I know I can talk to you, but since you can't use the information on your NavyDEP website, I will use my time ironing my clothes. Man my mom would really freak out with me saying that. ~ha

All 5 days will have a test. This is a potentially stressful week especially for the people who have worried about that ever-important run in the PFA. I will list the tests now.
Final Comprehensive Test: This will be the last computer based test of 50 questions summarizing what you learned in Firefighting. This is strictly all forms of damage control. Make sure that you have paid attention in the weeks prior. This was the worst test. I believe I scored a 4.4 so that means I missed 6 questions. Not bad, but if you pay attention during the classes, you can do better than that mark.

Drill Inspection 2: This will be the same inspection as the one in week 4. You will form up as a division, march to the drill hall, and go through the tape that you have practiced for weeks.

Final PFA: This is the last of 3 PFA's and a must-pass for anyone who wants to have a chance to become a US Navy Sailor. I ran my best time of 11:20 (I hate running ~ha) so I was pretty stoked to know that I got through the most mentally blocking part of my boot camp: worrying about passing the PFA. If you do fail any of the parts of it, you will have a chance to redo it until Battle Stations. Just remember to get your practice running before boot camp.

Static Zone Inspection: This is the zone inspection that no one knows is coming. I was lucky enough to record the hits that the FQA Chief was pointing out. I was even awarded a Bravo Zulu chit for it though it didn't matter much. Make sure to have your gear stowed correctly for one last time with nothing hanging out, and the RDC's should be more lenient on your racks if you do well.

Uniform Inspection. Our division was split up into 4 sections with each section wearing a different uniform: the NSU's (navy service uniforms) also known as "peanut butter's", the navy camo is NWU's (navy working uniforms), Service dress whites, and Service dress blues. You have a certain amount of time to prepare again, and are read one last question that pertains to BMR, chain of command, 11 general orders, etc.

You have completed week 6! Once again...I can't tell anyone who hasn't done Battle Stations 21 about the aforementioned subject. I am legally bound so I am not giving anything away. It is for you, the aspiring sailor, to find out. I have done what I can to give you a head start. It's up to you to decide that you want to serve your country that bad enough.
6-1 Day: - Final PFA- Learning about the Mask, Chemical Uniform Number 2 (MCU-2/P) Gas Mask.

6-2 Day: - Final written test- Learning about how to don (put on) the Mask, Chemical Uniform Number 2 (MCU-2/P) Gas Mask
6-3 Day:- It's Gas Chamber day!!!! Got a stuffed up nose? You won't after smelling this CS gas. Make sure you don't rub your eyes, it makes it worse! Woo-hoo for Gas Chamber day!
6-4 Day:- We are starting to learn how to march in the building were PIR will take place.

- Battlestation's is in a couple days. I'm not scared, I am trained, but it is still bothering me if we will actually pass and get out of here. I just need to remind myself that people go to prison for this long and they are just limited to a small area, here we are not that limited. I'm sure glad I chose this path instead of the prison path. Thanks for being there for me Craig, when my parents weren't. They were totally against the military, and you shown me that I could indeed make it, and be successful. I know I will pass Battle stations and will be so proud to be called a sailor! Your NavyDEP website really helped me out. Thank you!
How does NavyDEP provide help to future sailors?

It's through your help!

NavyDEP has combined forces with a start up company called PIRGifts.com. It's a start up company and is fresh and new (just like your future sailor!).

Being a sailor, I know what sailors want. I have helped this PIRgifts get started by designing the very 1st Challenge Coin for sailors that have been to Navy boot camp at Great Lakes. A portion of their profits (35 cents) will come back to NavyDEP to help me pay for web hosting, software upgrades, and all the other things that come with owning a website. Believe me, I truly don't need the 35 cent, but its nice to know that they understand by helping this website, they are helping future sailors. I want to maintain that link. Heck, if they become a multi-Million dollar company, maybe they make a huge forum to help more deppers understand the Navy life.

I am actually in the process of writing an Power Point slide show explaining the coin. Boot camp is the only time you can't earn a challenge coin, which is why it's always missing from all sailors collection and/or shadow box. It's the blank that needs to be filled.

All coins are being sold on Ebay. Just search for ship name and number. Example "USS Triton" and "Ship 12"

By buying this, you are actually helping a lot of sailors that are feeding into boot camp pipeline. As you know, I have kept NavyDEP free of advertisement since the beginning in 2008. However, this is one item that I truly think every sailor wants, and deserves to get. What better way than filling a sailors need?

Please pass this on to the others. I would appreciate it.
Craig - NavyDEP admin.

You can buy these coins on Ebay

Search Ebay for:
USS Reuben James - Ship 2
USS Hopper - Ship 3
USS Burke - Ship 4 (There are two styles, one for regular sailors and one for SPECOPS.
USS Chicago - Ship 7
USS John F. Kennedy - Ship 9
USS Kearsarge - Ship 11
USS Triton - Ship 12
USS Marvin Shields - Ship 13
USS Arizona - Ship 14

This 3D coin was exclusively made for PIRGifts under a license agreement with a major coin manufacturer/mint.
The design was developed by a very knowledgeable member of the U.S. Navy who knowledge on all facets of the Navy and Navy life is truly remarkable.
This is a great gift for those that have made the transition from civilian life to becoming a sailor in the world's greatest Navy..... Hooyah.... Go Navy!!!!....
This coin is 1-3/4 inch.
As shown, there are two coins. This is just to display the front and back of coin
Each coin is $21.95
Free Shipping within the United States.

Last edited by Craig; 08-02-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote