View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
classified9
**Active Duty**

classified9 will become famous soon enough

After a couple minutes of ctrl+F I found this forum. Yay me!

So I have a few questions regarding the DLI and being out in the fleet.~

1. I got a reasonably high score on my DLAB, will that impact the languages I want to take? I was hoping for something like Arabic, but I'm also a Nordic girl, which I can understand dropping me out of that category.

Honestly, it depends on what's available. There's almost no impact on DLAB score because the way students are placed in classes.

2. Life at the DLI, is it hard? I know the website says 2-3 hours of homework, but do they mean 2-3 hours for a quick person, or 2-3 hours for a slow person?

Yes, it is hard. Period. You're going to work a lot and have military responsibilities.

3. How many languages do you get to learn? Do you only get one, or can you get more?

If you pass the basic course and go on to do your job, you can have an opportunity to return.

4. When you join the fleet, I was told there's a possibility of being actively translating with a special forces group. Is this true? Do you have to qualify for something?

Yes and yes.

5. Do you bunk with someone at the DLI? If so, are they also learning your language, or is communication hopeless?

None of my roommates have ever had my language.

6. After you get out of your blackout phase, do you get to go off base/have your phone/laptop/whatever else?

Yes.

7. So after basic, I'll go to the DLI, from my understanding, does this mean I can have my parents pack me a small backpack with my laptop/cell/whatever or would they have to mail that? Or is there some other way to get that?

Get them to bring it to the airport the day you fly from GL.

I'm currently there right now. Finishing up class. PM me if you need anything in particular.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." - Jimmy V
classified9 is offline   Reply With Quote