View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

I've been out of DLI a little less than a year now, so things might not be exactly the same, but here goes:

1. A high DLAB score will definitely help, but it's really dependent on what slots they have open. They'll also look at what other languages you have experience with, what kind of assignments you want etc.

2. It depends on the language/teaching team. Generally Chinese/Korean are the most homework intensive, but even that can vary. I'm a Chinese linguist and we had 2~3 hours of homework a night (this was 2 hours for those at the top of class and closer to 4 for the guys who were struggling) for the first year or so and then tapered off at the end of the class when we knew how to study on our own.

3. One at a time. If you re-enlist you've got a good chance of going back to DLI at some point.

4. That isn't a first term assignment. You'd have to re-enlist to get something like that. And yes, you have to qualify physically.

5. Yes, most rooms are doubles or triples. You can qualify for a single by keeping your room clean/grades up etc. 2 of my 3 roommates (to be clear, I lived in doubles with 3 other people in succession) were also Chinese, but it just happened that way, rooms are assigned without regard to language.

6. You can have cell phones/laptops etc immediately. Phase 1 is uniform, no offbase (unless in the duty vehicle for something official), 2200 curfew. Two weeks, get your watch qual, inspections etc you can get Phase 2, civies, offbase privileges, 2200 weeknights/2400 weekend curfew. Two more weeks, more inspections and training courses, phase 3 is overnight liberty.

7. My parents mailed it to me because my time at bootcamp was complicated and I didn't have a graduation. For people with graduations - you get liberty with your family and then go back to your compartment to get bussed to the airport. You can ask your family to bring it and meet you at the airport. Don't take it back to the compartment.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote