View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #132
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrwelch View Post
When your sailor arrives here they can request to change while in indoc and if available they can change. We had a span go to korean and an arabic go to spanish and others have changed serveral times. It all comes down to scores.
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in [REDACTED 1] makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

[REDACTED 2] is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in [REDACTED 2] is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in [REDACTED 3] doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of my wife's family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm mostly torn between [REDACTED 1] and [REDACTED 2] to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201

Last edited by JoeSpook; 11-05-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: formatting herp derps, REDACTing.
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote