View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
SN-Madman

SN-Madman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSailorB View Post
Do you volunteer to do color guard or do they pick people because I really want to do color guard or even be part of the band or drill.
I wanted to be part of it, but it wasn't even really offered to me. If you hear ANYTHING about musical instruments, pipe up.

However, I know that the 900 divisions (musical instruments/dress drill/etc) get worked twice as hard as a regular division, and they're punished twice as hard too. It may be exciting to be a 900 division person for the time you're there, and for about two months after you leave, but I've only been in for 7 months past my BC graduation, and I can tell you that no one cares what division you were in in basic.

900 divisions have clout in basic, and yeah, we were jealous of them there, but remember that you will still be a sailor after being part of a regular division, but there will be less pain and suffering in a regular division. ;)

I would highly recommend NOT piping up about anything. From my experience, the longer you can go before anyone knows your name in boot camp, the better off you are. I didn't get a "job" until week 5, and it was wonderful. I barely got punished, because when you have a "job" they look for excuses to punish you.

The point of basic is to teach you to listen to what you're told, and to work together to achieve success together. Any division will teach you this, because all RDCs are selected and trained for this purpose.
SN-Madman is offline   Reply With Quote