View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Boats2Bytes

Boats2Bytes is on a distinguished road
Question Another "Crossrating to CTN" thread

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the site and I've learned quite a bit already, but I still have a few questions. I just want to say thanks in advance to everyone who posts regularly here, you're a huge help.

A little (brutally honest) background info:
I enlisted in 2013 and smashed the ASVAB with a 96. I started off initially as a sub rate and excelled academically, but I screwed around and got myself a disciplinary drop. I went PACT seaman and served undes on CG56 where I planned on striking CTN. I hung out with the wrong crowd and went to mast after 11 months onboard, the month before I became eligible to pick up a rate requiring an A school. I reluctantly tested into BM and advanced to 3rd immediately. I saw a 7 month 6th/5th fleet deployment and returned January 2017. I put my CWAY in a few months ago and, against literally everyone's recommendations, applied "convert only to CTN". To my pleasant surprise, I actually got approved. I "refreshed" my clearance via SF86 and a very brief phone interview, and just today I got orders to JCAC in April. I also just picked up BM2 and will be pinned next week, and the program manager has already reassured me they have no problem taking me in as a fresh E-5. Needless to say, I am ecstatic and cannot wait.

I've read quite a few threads on here but, just like the navy, things are constantly changing, so I wanted to get a more recent perspective. I'll try to keep my questions brief, since I made you read that long into.

1. What differences can I expect to see as a fleet returnee? Specifically in the realm of living quarters, duty requirements, selecting final orders, or anything else.

2. I've done some schooling in the realm of computer science but I never got around to getting my certs. Would you recommend trying to get A+/Network+ in the next few months, or maybe something else? I've already started hitting the old textbooks and refreshing, so I think it'd be possible.

3. What options would I have if I wanted to move my wife with me? I already planned on leaving her here in Virginia to escape the hassle of moving for just 6 months, but I like to know all my potential options.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you all.
Boats2Bytes is offline   Reply With Quote