View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
Just4Kixs

Just4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud ofJust4Kixs has much to be proud of

Sounds like a scare tactic. I was in a very similar situation. I scored high in the ASVAB and they gave me 3 choices when I was to choose a job. I already had a list in my mind but they wouldn't budge in MEPS. So I walked out even though they yelled at me. Went back to my recruiter's office to tell them what happened, they got the phone call at MEPS too. We decided to go back to MEPS and choose a job then submit a DAR for it. The choices were MM(subs), AECF (FC/ET), or Nuclear. I chose AECF even though I really wanted GM. Got the DAR submitted and waited... waited... waited ... for 5 months. As my ship date got closer, I was getting desperate. I learned on this site that DARs don't do you any good pretty much, which was my case in point. I got desperate that I ended up looking for alternatives. Began calling the Coast Guard recruiting station and said what's up. Told my DEP station if I could get a DEP discharge and leave the Navy for the USCG... that or not ship out at all. I came to the conclusion that the chain of command was useless as we had a change in LPO and LCPO who don't know my situation. They heard my cries after many times, so they listened. I told them that I was set to go to boot any moment now and that I'm packed up ready to leave the next second. So what they did was wait for an A school opening and had me take it. I left for boot camp a week earlier than expected.

As for you, since you're so set in IC and already signed up the contract for shipping out as an HMDA, you still have time to change things in you favor. You're not bound to leave for boot camp at all unless you make the 2nd swear-in and actually ship out on your ship date. You don't need to ship to boot camp with your current contract. What are they going to do? Yell? Ask for a DEP discharge?
Just4Kixs is offline   Reply With Quote